UPDATE Excel sheet updates Feature Layer

08-08-2017 11:18 AM
JayLarsen
Occasional Contributor II

AGOL should allow update functionality of Hosted Feature Service Layers that were created with Excel sheets.

Currenlty, if you upload an Excel or CSV, geocode it, and turn it into a Hosted Feature Service Layer, you can update the sheet itself with the UPDATE button, but the Hosted Feature Service Layer does not change.

So, if you have a common workflow around a shared layer of store sites, etc, that are updated, you have to do it by hand in Hosted Layer, or make "yearly" or "version-ed" layers from continually uploading new Excel sheets.

This latter workflow means that all maps that you want to show the "stores" or whatever in have to be re-setup with the new data.

I know you can do "update" from desktop, but we are an all AGOL/BAO shop.  Seems like a glaring missing piece, really.  I thought it was demo'd at UC last year, but that must have been from desktop only.  Meanwhile, this year, the big demo was for tiles made from a layer auto-sensing a change in the underlying layer and tripping an update of the tiles.  So, clearly ESRI knows this workflow is common, and should wish to automate it.

Tags (3)
1 Comment
PhilLarkin1

Have you contacted ESRI Support about this? I'm curious if they consider this a feature. It is frustrating that the Update feature will update shapefiles/file geodatabases but not other datasets. 

These bugs might be related: 
BUG-000103557: The hosted view of a feature layer does not update w..