ArcGIS Pro GPS Toolbar

02-09-2017 05:38 AM
Labels (1)
MooreCounty
New Contributor II

Please add a GPS toolbar with similar functionality to the ArcMap GPS toolbar. In particular, being able to connect to a USB GPS unit and auto-panning would be great. 

When up voting this Idea, please add a Comment with information about how you use connected GPS with Desktop (ArcMap).  How do you connect the unit, what type of work are you doing, and what functionality from the current ArcMap GPS toolbar do you use most?  Is there important functionality missing from the existing toolbar that would be beneficial in a Pro GPS "toolbar"?

Moderator Note

Implemented in ArcGIS Pro 2.7. See https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-ideas/arcgis-pro-gps-toolbar/idc-p/1010299/highlight/true#M14572

45 Comments
KoryKramer

Reese HirthChristian "Smitty" SmithJerry ChaseRachel SarinaMatt SartyGrant MacLeodEvan MosherUlrike KleebergCraig MacLachlanMoore CountyHeinz-Georg Pankow

We added some questions in an info box in the description, and I wanted to reach out to present the same to those who have already voted for this idea:

How do you connect the unit, what type of work are you doing, and what functionality from the current ArcMap GPS toolbar do you use most?  Is there important functionality missing from the existing toolbar that would be beneficial in a Pro GPS "toolbar"?

Providing more information will be extremely helpful to us when thinking about what this might look like in ArcGIS Pro.

Thank you!

JerryChase2

I'm currently testing a Garmin Glo (Bluetooth connection) with my computer and Android phone. My experience with GPS/GIS has been primarily limited to ArcGIS Desktop and I have made that work for my purposes although it has been challenging and confusing. Bluetooth connections bring a level of complexity all its own, but that seems to be the path of the future for peripherals. So the only comment that I have to offer is I wish for a day when PCs connect to external devices as easily as do my smart phone. Having used survey grade GPS units before when the only way to interact with them was to use a specific unit connected with a cable. Now most GPS units will connect with Bluetooth to handheld computers and most smartphones. 

KoryKramer

Thank you, Jerry!

EvanMosher

Hi Kory,

We would like to connect to GPS through either a Serial-USB adapter or just through Serial port. In our business we would like to put ArcGIS Pro on our fishing vessels, and have them view the current vessel location with correct heading, or Course over Ground, so displaying some sort of custom icon that has a front and rear would be great. Might be nice to have a window or something that constantly displays the current location, heading, and speed. Also, our crews like to use a "vector arrow" that reaches out ahead of the vessel at a specified distance, this would be nice to have. Any way to add a "Distance to Mouse location" and/or "Distance to a waypoint" and/or "Time to go to waypoint" and/or "Time to go to Mouse location", "Bearing to Mouse location" and/or "Bearing to a waypoint" and have these also displayed in a window or something that is updating would be a nice to have.

Regards,

Evan

KoryKramer

Excellent input.  Thank you, Evan!

PerryBeale

I would like the GPS toolbar to connect a GPS via USB to Pro.  A large portion of our work is mapping crops, which requires in-the-field location capabilities for editing, especially cutting field border polygons.  This work flow often requires desktop tools rather than using Collector.  ArcMap is the current desktop environment for connecting to GPS, but moving to Pro will require this same connectivity.

JoelMcKechnie1

In my work we have been using ArcMap on a windows tablet, connected to a QSTARZ GPS Receiver via bluetooth.

I have read a few posts on Geonet that have similar experiences, and I can agree that bluetooth connectivity is an issue on it's own.

ArcGIS Pro needs GPS connectivity. We have almost completely migrated to Pro at the desktop, however cannot progress to Pro in the field without a GPS toolbar. We are trialing Collector, however need functionality Pro/ArcMap provide that Collector cannot.

KoryKramer

Thank you for the input, Joel!

ThomasColson

For CADD (in vehicle police dispatching), the ability to have a GPS-connected to the laptop (where the GPS is part of the CADD hardware in the trunk), and Arc running on the laptop, is a must-have. And no, we can't use collector or explorer, most CADD systems have ArcMap baked into the rest of the system, either on the dispatch side, vehicle side, or both. If (when) ArcMap is ultimately retired, and Pro doesn't have this functionality, we'll have to find another solution. 

KoryKramer

Good detail.  Thank you, Thomas!