ArcGIS Pro GPS Toolbar

02-09-2017 05:38 AM
Labels (1)
MooreCounty
New Contributor II

Please add a GPS toolbar with similar functionality to the ArcMap GPS toolbar. In particular, being able to connect to a USB GPS unit and auto-panning would be great. 

When up voting this Idea, please add a Comment with information about how you use connected GPS with Desktop (ArcMap).  How do you connect the unit, what type of work are you doing, and what functionality from the current ArcMap GPS toolbar do you use most?  Is there important functionality missing from the existing toolbar that would be beneficial in a Pro GPS "toolbar"?

Moderator Note

Implemented in ArcGIS Pro 2.7. See https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-ideas/arcgis-pro-gps-toolbar/idc-p/1010299/highlight/true#M14572

45 Comments
AndyClark3

We use a Garmin Bluetooth GPS device with ArcMap for field work. However since upgrading our tablet to a high resolution screen, ArcMap is unusable for field work due to resolution issues. For our editing and mapping environment, we have almost completely migrated to ArcGIS Pro which has been a fantastic decision and we would like to move on from ArcMap for good. 

We have been trialing Collector for ArcGIS for our field operations however as we require displaying large areas of complex data (our mapping area is 18 million hectares - the state of Queensland), Collector can struggle displaying our broad scale, complex data. There is also a known bug with publishing feature services from ArcGIS Pro to AGOL and downloading a web map for offline use using the collector app with Windows. Tiling our imagery is also time consuming and a bit of a hassle. 

Ideally we would like to be able to take our ArcGIS Pro project out into the field with us and have the GNSS (GPS) functionality like ArcMap has. Although Collector for ArcGIS will have its place for us, we really need the full desktop GIS functionality with GNSS/GPS location displaying and tracking. 

MatthewDorsey

If developed, it needs to support NMEA sentences via USB AND Bluetooth...

MatthewDorsey

If developed, it needs to support NMEA sentences via USB AND Bluetooth...

ThomasColson

...and Bad Elf

SteveOliver

I use the GPS Feature in ARCmap to track my movements and to mark locations were I drop kids of on their Paper Sales Route.  I used to use QGIS GPS feature, and miss the autopan feature that came with it, but love how ARCMap has a better connection.  I use BLUETOOTH connection from my Android Phone.

JoshOsher

Just make sure its not just pulled directly from ArcMap. I have been using ArcGIS for 15 years and the same zooming bug has been in every version since the early 2000's.

Basically when connected to GPS, if you zoom in and then zoom out, within a minute or two after you start moving again it zooms back in.

The only work around I have found is to save the doc after every zoom out.

BruceAnderson1

used with USB connected and bluetooth connected GPS units for animal surveys conducted from aircraft

CurtisJohnson1

Waiting on this feature to fully migrate to ArcGIS Pro...

ShanaGail1

Hi,

We have AMI Engineers and Metermen using MS MapPoint to display Fixed Network meters that are not reporting in, or have a low RC quality issue that needs mitigating in the field.  MapPoint is deprecated, and so I have been working on a prototype to use Pro instead.  Plus, the users are moving from Win 7 to Win 10, which is the final nail in the coffin for MapPoint.

However, I discovered today, much to my dismay, that there is no GPS Toolbar, and the users are adamant that they want navigation functionality as part of the solution.  They are currently using an external GPS antennae with a Win 7 laptop...  "Under Consideration" is close to being in "In Product Plan"... right??

Thanks,

Shana

KoryKramer

GPS Support is a mid-term project for Pro https://community.esri.com/docs/DOC-12346-arcgis-pro-roadmap-september-2018 

Mid-term means next 2-3 releases.  I guess we could say that technically this is in the product plan, but its a little further out than we like in order to update the status.  I'm sure the team will re-evaluate once Pro 2.3 ships in early 2019.