Import Domain from Another Geodatabase

04-15-2014 01:19 PM
Labels (1)
mpboyle
Occasional Contributor III

I think there should be a way to import a domain from another geodatabase rather than having to export the domain to a table and then import that table to a domain.  One step, instead of two should be required for this.

10 Comments
MikeRadko

There are Domain to Table and Table to Domain tools in the ArcToolbox.  How about a Domain to Domain tool which could be used to transfer a Domain from one geodatabase to another?

GlenRouse

I agree transferring domains from one geodatabase is not straightforward.  The way I would do it would be in catalog.  User would right-click on the geodatabase containing the domain to be transferred and pick "Copy domain".  Next you would right-click on the geodatabase you want to receive the domain and click "Paste domain"

Right now I just setup a dummy geodatabase with the domain contents I desire, then as I start a new project I copy the entire geodatabase to a new location and rename the geodatabase for the new project.  This does not work too bad when you are doing a large number of projects that require the same domain because you just get into a routine.  This method is just clunky.

Here is a link to GIS Stack Exchange that details how others are dealing with this problem.  arcgis desktop - Copying domain (and only domain) between Esri geodatabases? - Geographic Informatio...

GlenRouse

I agree here is a similar idea someone else posted.  https://community.esri.com/ideas/11786

RobertBorchert

I have submitted an idea similar in nature to this.  There needs to be a Domain Tool set for a variety of functions. 

I would like to see a tools for CREATING and EDITING.  Right now if I need to make significant modifications to a domain it means exporting it (which sometimes does not work) making the changes in Access and them importing it back in (which also sometimes does not work)

Rather than Creating a Domain in ArcCatalog IN a specific Database I would like to see stored domains in ArcCatalog.  At least for custom domains.  I have 6 domains I create for every new database  I work with.  I would love to see them stored in ArcCatalog or better yet in a Domain.style that I can take with me.

I would like to see a tool where I can select a domain in a database and see all the Feature Classes and Fields it is assigned to.  Currently the best way ( and best is a very bad choice of words) is to export a database as an XML file and then open it in ArcGIS Diagrammer.  Which supposed is a replacement, but yet a downgrade, for the Database reporter we used to be able to use.

AdrianWelsh

Domain to Table and Table to Domain tools actually work pretty well. Though, I fully agree that there needs to be a toolset for this (or at least a Copy Domain tool of some sort).

ThomasColson

I up voted, but here's a workaround if your DB is SQL. Create a view from the domain definition, like so, then use the table to domain tool

CREATE VIEW [dbo].[View_COWARDIN]
AS
SELECT
codedValue.value('Code[1]', 'nvarchar(max)') AS "Code",
codedValue.value('Name[1]', 'nvarchar(max)') AS "Value"
FROM
dbo.GDB_ITEMS AS items INNER JOIN dbo.GDB_ITEMTYPES AS itemtypes
ON items.Type = itemtypes.UUID
CROSS APPLY
items.Definition.nodes
('/GPCodedValueDomain2/CodedValues/CodedValue') AS CodedValues(codedValue)
WHERE
itemtypes.Name = 'Coded Value Domain' AND
items.Name = 'Cowardin_Types'
mpboyle

Using ArcGIS / arcpy tools...I can do:

1) Domain to Table --- and then

2) Table to Domain

This should work, but seems like there should be a tool to do it in one step, not two.

NathanHeickLACSD

I would like a geoprocessing tool that would let you import domains from a source geodatabase to a target geodatabase.  I don't want to have to export the domain using Domain to Table and import it using Table to Domain if I'm not modifying it in anyway.  The parameters would be the source geodatabase, the target geodatabase, the domains that are available to import from the source to the target, and a boolean indicating if you want to override existing domains in the target.

JonathanMurphy
Status changed to: In Product Plan

AmeliaBradshaw
Status changed to: Implemented

This Idea has been implemented in ArcGIS Pro 3.1 as a copy, paste and delete option available between views (between databases). Please see the What's New documentation for more new features in Pro 3.1.

The Ideas in ArcGIS Pro 3.1 blog will be wrapped up soon. Once complete, I will add the link to this comment.