I work with a lot of customers that request the ability to display their feature service attachments in the web map's popup rather than a hyperlink. The attached script will convert the feature services attachments URL to a field. You can then display the attachment directly in the popup after some configuration.
Here is a screen shot on how attachments display within a web map popup by default:
Below are the steps to show the attached image directly in the popup:
1. Add a TEXT/STRING field (i.e. "Picture") to the feature service that can support a large amount of characters (i.e. 1,000).
2. Execute the attached GP tool.
3. Configure the pop-up to Show Images. Ex:
The image will now display directly in the popup. Ex:
- the timeout for an ArcGIS Online feature service is set to the max of 15 days.
- the timeout for an ArcGIS Server service is set to the default 'Lifespan of long lived token'. The default is 1 day. This can be changed by going to Server Manager > Security > Settings. After the long lived token is updated, you can update the expiration parameter on line 33.
Update 9/8/17: GP tool will update ArcGIS Server services that are federated with Portal for ArcGIS
Update 9/27/17: GP tool now works with ArcGIS Pro
Update 3/13/18: Script is a single file that utilizes the requests module. No longer have to specify a referer.