This prototype data model is provided to help irrigation districts get started with a utility network. The prototype data model was developed by Esri as a research project in collaboration with two irrigation districts. One of the irrigation district uses a gravity feed irrigation network in a predominantly agriculture area, the other irrigation district operates a gravity feed irrigation system in a predominately suburban area.
The Prototype Irrigation Data Model is for gravity feed irrigation systems. It is not designed to represent pressurized non-potable irrigation systems. For those systems we recommend starting with the
The first prototype borrows many data elements from geometric network based pipe system data models. We hope more irrigation districts can review the prototype and share feedback on the design and inclusions.
As time permits, we plan to continue development of the prototype. Please post comments and feedback here.
Here are some basic modeling principles
- Pipes and Canal are divided into different Asset Group and Asset Types by their function
- Turnouts are Structure Junctions and contain Gates and other features
- Delivery Gates offset from the lateral using a connection point so their status does not affect flow on the lateral
Components in this download
- Asset Package based on ArcGIS Pro 2.5
- Editor Map
- Asset Groups and Asset Types created
- Core set of rules
- 3 Tiers - Canal, Lateral and Forebay
- Simple basic set of Attributes
- Basic set of sample data
- Attribute domains and specific set of attributes per Asset Group
- Complete set of rules for connectivity