Football or Soccer ?

06-27-2014 03:39 PM

Football or Soccer ?

What do you call it ? Football ? Soccer ? Else ?

I say Football ...

Attachments
Comments

i say soccer, since it helps me distinguish American Football (NFL) vs. what you guys call 'real football' ... did i mention i grew up primarily in the US and like to be different from the rest of the world

If all goes well the world will call it VOETBAL for the next four years.

I call it Soccer.

It depends on who I am talking to. If at a sports bar in the US I will definitely say "soccer." But if in a pub in Europe with friends, I will try to remember to say "football."

Of cause football, which is the 1:1 translation of the German word "Fussball". I only call it soccer when I talk to people from the US. Can some tell me where the word soccer comes from an what it means?

From Wikipedia: "The term soccer originated in England, first appearing in the 1880s as an Oxford "-er" abbreviation of the word 'association.'

Within the English-speaking world, association football is now usually called football in the United Kingdom, and mainly soccer in Canada and the United States. Other countries, such as Australia, Ireland and New Zealand, may use either or both terms interchangeably."

If Arjen keeps on diving...

Z

Nice work Christophe Charpentier‌!

There's a little mistake in the map, though. In Poland soccer is called "piłka nożna".

What about a webmap?

Great idea Adam !!!

Don't dream awake Jeroen ... The final will be France - USA !!! 🙂

And then the problem will be the same ... Football or Soccer !

handegg.jpg

From a european perspective:

John Cleese rants - Soccer vs Football - YouTube

hey don't forget .... we do kick the ball albeit not a major part of the game haha

In Australia it's the Football federation FFA Home | Football Federation Australia and it's football to everyone- not soccer like on the map. Sydney FC and WS Wanderers FC would be mighty upset to be called soccer clubs (SC). But the national team goes by the Socceroos but that the fault of Qantas who can't spell!

Confusingly every rugby code is also football and we all get along. She'll be right.

Strike one!

An Indian friend suggested that American Football should be called "Armball". 

your other Indian friend says we should continue calling it Football !

Jeroen, are we talking about baseball now

Christophe, US is out, France is out! Just two hurdles (Argentina and Germany or Brazil) and everybody has to call it VOETBAL!

I think, now it will be more and more "Fußball" - with ß  ...

Most important, the final game will be showing up in the GeoLounge in San Diego in ballroom 20a on the big screens.

Thanks' Terry Kelly‌ for the info and Jürgen Schomakers for asking.

Germany 7: Brazil 1!!

Any questions left? Of course now it's "Fußball"....

Well Congrats!!

We did it. http://bit.ly/weltrangWedidit.JPG

football

Meanwhile, across the Tasman only expat Englishmen call soccer 'football', actual football is of course rugby (or 'footie') and has two sects, 'union' (the righteous one) and 'league', with strict segregation observed.  Australia has both too but also another code, which used to be called VFL (Victorian) or 'Aussie rules', but now goes by 'AFL'.  None of this is as confusing as the types of cricket games.

This post about football is great! I love how it brings together fans of the sport, and I'm especially impressed with the online cricket ID feature. It has made it easier to connect with fellow fans, and I've had some great experiences using it. It's a great way to share the joy of football with others!

Version history
Last update:
‎06-27-2014 03:39 PM
Updated by: