Generate Attachment Match Table

Jump to solution
02-01-2023 06:04 PM
jsilber_CE
New Contributor II

Hello, I am trying to create a Generate Attachment Match Table. One of the fields is Output Match Table which I thought would be the same as the table created when the Enable Attachment tool is run, however I am unable to use this table as it already exists. If I create a brand new match table, it is not associated with the feature class. Any tips are appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohannesLindner
MVP Frequent Contributor

There are two main ways to add attachments to a feature:

To use the Add Attachments tool, you need an Attachment Match Table, which you can generate in a previous step with Generate Attachment Match Table (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

The Match Table is not the Attachment table. The Match Table is not associated with the feature class. The behavior you see is completely correct. The Match Table is just an intermediate step, it can be deleted after you used it in the Add Attachments tool.

Let's look at an easy example for how to add multiple attachments to a feature class.

Let's say you have a polygon feature class of lots. This feature class has a text field called LotID with values like "LotA", "LotB", etc. Now you want to add some reports to these lots.

1. Enable attachments for the feature class.
    Enable Attachments (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation
  2. Put the reports you want to attach into a folder, name them according to the LotID values -> "LotA.pdf"
  3. Generate the Match Table
    Generate Attachment Match Table (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation
    use LotID as key field, output match table can be anywhere (but not the attachment table!)

The Match Table should look like this:
    LotIDPath
    LotAC:/reports/LotA.pdf
    LotBC:/reports/LotB.pdf
  4. Add the attachments to the feature class
    Add Attachments (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation
    Use the table you generated in the previous step as match table, use LotID as join field
  5. The Match Table is unneccessary now, you can delete it.

For more on how to work with attachments, take a look at the docs: An overview of the Attachments toolset—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Have a great day!
Johannes

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JohannesLindner
MVP Frequent Contributor

There are two main ways to add attachments to a feature:

To use the Add Attachments tool, you need an Attachment Match Table, which you can generate in a previous step with Generate Attachment Match Table (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

The Match Table is not the Attachment table. The Match Table is not associated with the feature class. The behavior you see is completely correct. The Match Table is just an intermediate step, it can be deleted after you used it in the Add Attachments tool.

Let's look at an easy example for how to add multiple attachments to a feature class.

Let's say you have a polygon feature class of lots. This feature class has a text field called LotID with values like "LotA", "LotB", etc. Now you want to add some reports to these lots.

1. Enable attachments for the feature class.
    Enable Attachments (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation
  2. Put the reports you want to attach into a folder, name them according to the LotID values -> "LotA.pdf"
  3. Generate the Match Table
    Generate Attachment Match Table (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation
    use LotID as key field, output match table can be anywhere (but not the attachment table!)

The Match Table should look like this:
    LotIDPath
    LotAC:/reports/LotA.pdf
    LotBC:/reports/LotB.pdf
  4. Add the attachments to the feature class
    Add Attachments (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation
    Use the table you generated in the previous step as match table, use LotID as join field
  5. The Match Table is unneccessary now, you can delete it.

For more on how to work with attachments, take a look at the docs: An overview of the Attachments toolset—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Have a great day!
Johannes
jsilber_CE
New Contributor II

Thank you Johannes! I wasn't clear that the match table is separate from the attachments table! I knew I was missing a small detail. Really appreciate the very detailed explanation. 

0 Kudos