Do features need to be M-enabled for Utility Network compatibility?

Jump to solution
01-30-2023 10:11 AM
AaronManuel2
New Contributor III

I am trying to figure out if features participating in a utility network need to be m-enabled as a prerequisite, and I can't seem to find the answer to this in the documentation.

I'm working on setting up some water utility features for utility network capability sometime in the future. They are z-enabled but not m-enabled. We are interested in things like network diagrams and modeling DMA's.

Does this require M values?

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

M's are enabled by default and you cannot disable them.  You do not have to fill them out.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Jens_Dalsgaard
Occasional Contributor

Have experience in electric utility and UN only. Yet, I am quite sure, that m-enablement is NOT needed.

Jens Dalsgaard
Principal Product Owner
Power Grid, V O L U E
jens.dalsgaard&@volue.com
Volue Technology Denmark A/S
Alfred Nobels Vej 27
9220 Aalborg Øst, Denmark
volue.com
AaronManuel2
New Contributor III

Thank you, so in your utility network, do you have participating features that do not have m enabled? Are you still able to do things like network trace?

0 Kudos
Jens_Dalsgaard
Occasional Contributor

According to Mike, classes must be m-enabled.

But you don't have to do anything with the m-enablement. At least, we don't, and still it works like a beauty.

Maybe, we'll end up using the m-enablement further down the line, but for a start we don't.

Jens Dalsgaard
Principal Product Owner
Power Grid, V O L U E
jens.dalsgaard&@volue.com
Volue Technology Denmark A/S
Alfred Nobels Vej 27
9220 Aalborg Øst, Denmark
volue.com
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

M's are enabled by default and you cannot disable them.  You do not have to fill them out.

AaronManuel2
New Contributor III

Thank you. But when I create new features in pro, Z values are checked automatically but Ms are not. The features I'm working with do not have M values. The dataset does have an M resolution/tolerance. So when you say they are enabled by default I'm a little confused. Do you mean on the dataset itself?

0 Kudos
JimmyBowden
Occasional Contributor II

As Mike indicated the Utility Network feature classes are M enabled when they are created.  If you are deploying your UN as an enterprise you will want to check the box "Allow geometry updates without m-value" in the Feature properties.  This will set the M value to NaN when features are created. At this point you can just ignore them.

JimmyBowden_0-1675818597191.png