Assigning a different domain to a field

Jump to solution
01-31-2023 08:43 AM
LoriRadunzel-Davis
New Contributor III

I would like to try and make some modifications to a couple of domains in our water utility network, but I'm having some problems. 

Currently we have a Boolean domain for the operable field of our Water Device feature class.  I would like to have Maintenance Needed as an additional option.  I do not want to add it to the Boolean domain, since then it is no longer boolean and that domain might be used in other fields as well.  I created a new domain, but I am not able to remove or assign the domain from the field.  Or, I should say it looks as if the new domain is assigned, but it still only gives True and False as options.

Similarly, I noticed that the gnss fix type field was not assigned a domain for our Water Junctions.  It looks like I added it, but there is no drop down menu.

For our fire hydrants I noticed one of the fire districts was misspelled.  I tried to edit that domain for the fire district field, but was unable to.

I have been able to add additional codes/descriptions to other domains that we use.

So, is changing the domain assigned to a field or changing the existing description not allowed for any field in the utility network? I understand it is not for Asset Type, but none of these are for that field.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LoriRadunzel-Davis
New Contributor III

I hadn't thought of disabling network topology before the changes.  I then had to republish.  After that the changes were there.  Thank you!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JakeJacobsAVA
New Contributor III

One thing you might check is whether you are assigning the domains at the feature class level or the subtype level. Device has subtypes and so you have to assign the domain for each subtype. It would be great if Esri would show this when you are looking at the featureclass level, but I haven't found a way to see this very clearly.

I am not familiar with water networks so I'm not sure if there are certain other fields that wouldn't permit a different domain being assigned. Others may be able to provide input here.

0 Kudos
JimmyBowden
Occasional Contributor II

If you are using an Enterprise Utility Network ensure that you are connecting to the geodatabase when attempting to make domain changes.  Domain changes can only be made when connected to the geodatabase then to see those changes the feature service must be restarted.  Some domain changes like to asset type can only be done when topology is disabled.   Be aware that changes to asset type will impact your network rules so makes changes with care.  Also some fields participate as Network attributes, including operable.  Adding a new operable value shouldn't be an issue but will have impacts in some trace situations.

0 Kudos
LoriRadunzel-Davis
New Contributor III

I hadn't thought of disabling network topology before the changes.  I then had to republish.  After that the changes were there.  Thank you!

0 Kudos