Using a feature layer as the immersive basemap

Jump to solution
01-29-2024 01:09 PM
JGVadnais1
New Contributor III

Hello!

I've recently created a StoryMap using the map tour immersive.  For the basemap, I opted to use a map that I created, by selecting Browse more maps and selecting Native Lands. (see attached image).  When the map I choose as the basemap loads into the StoryMap, I'm unable to change its position. 

Actually, when I change the basemap to one of the provided options, I still cannot customize the map's position. 

I demonstrate in this short video

Why is this happening?  I've been able to customize the original orientation in the past.

Thank you,

Jenn Vadnais

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AbbyE_Esri
Esri Contributor

Hi @JGVadnais1 ,

This is the current expected behavior for placing the initial extent of the map tour. This will also happen with the default basemap options in a map tour. The extent is calculated off the collection of points added to the tour, and will factor in the desired zoom level if it is set using the Custom initial zoom level dropdown, which you showed in your video. You can also set the zoom level for the individual points throughout the map tour when adding the locations:

AbbyE_Esri_0-1706586450840.png

I do understand wanting to add a specific extent for that initial zoom. Trying to tweak it a bit with the different initial zoom extents after adding all the expected locations can help a bit. If you need a highly specific extent, you can always use the map block (adding a map to the story instead of a map tour), or use an express map in a sidecar. You can also make a suggestion to allow the custom extent setting in a map tour on the ArcGIS StoryMaps Ideas page, and it may be considered as an addition to the product in the future.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions on the context above.

--Abby

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JGVadnais1
New Contributor III
0 Kudos
AbbyE_Esri
Esri Contributor

Hi @JGVadnais1 ,

This is the current expected behavior for placing the initial extent of the map tour. This will also happen with the default basemap options in a map tour. The extent is calculated off the collection of points added to the tour, and will factor in the desired zoom level if it is set using the Custom initial zoom level dropdown, which you showed in your video. You can also set the zoom level for the individual points throughout the map tour when adding the locations:

AbbyE_Esri_0-1706586450840.png

I do understand wanting to add a specific extent for that initial zoom. Trying to tweak it a bit with the different initial zoom extents after adding all the expected locations can help a bit. If you need a highly specific extent, you can always use the map block (adding a map to the story instead of a map tour), or use an express map in a sidecar. You can also make a suggestion to allow the custom extent setting in a map tour on the ArcGIS StoryMaps Ideas page, and it may be considered as an addition to the product in the future.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions on the context above.

--Abby

JGVadnais1
New Contributor III

Abby, Thank you for the explanation.   I appreciate it.

Jenn

0 Kudos