Popup videos from Feature Layer

Jump to solution
01-29-2024 11:00 AM
Labels (1)
RyanMitchell2
New Contributor II

I've been looking for a way to display video URLs from a feature layer attribute table in map popups or the media frame of a StoryMap Guided Tour or Sidecar, but it looks like this still isn't possible. Can someone confirm and/or provide a workaround or example?

Thanks,

Ryan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PeterKnoop
MVP Regular Contributor

@RyanMitchell2 with regards to a map's pop up, what are you looking to display in the pop up: the URL as text, the URL as a clickable link so the viewer can open the video in another browser tab at full-size, or do you want the video at the URL embedded in the pop up and played when the user opens the pop up?

If the latter, embed a video in your web map's popup, then you can use the HTML <video> tag for compatibly-hosted video files. For an example, check out this StoryMap: Display videos in web map pop up: How to embed videos using a URL field.

As for Map tours and Sidecars, I do not know of way to leverage the <video> tag directly. Though, you can embed a web map in a Sidecar that uses the <video> tag in its pop ups.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
PeterKnoop
MVP Regular Contributor

@RyanMitchell2 with regards to a map's pop up, what are you looking to display in the pop up: the URL as text, the URL as a clickable link so the viewer can open the video in another browser tab at full-size, or do you want the video at the URL embedded in the pop up and played when the user opens the pop up?

If the latter, embed a video in your web map's popup, then you can use the HTML <video> tag for compatibly-hosted video files. For an example, check out this StoryMap: Display videos in web map pop up: How to embed videos using a URL field.

As for Map tours and Sidecars, I do not know of way to leverage the <video> tag directly. Though, you can embed a web map in a Sidecar that uses the <video> tag in its pop ups.

Hope that helps.

RyanMitchell2
New Contributor II

Thank you @PeterKnoop! This is enormously helpful. Much appreciated.

0 Kudos