Cannot add field to mobile geodatabase feature class

Jump to solution
03-17-2023 09:42 AM
Labels (1)
jmaxwell_braun
New Contributor III

I get a read only error message when trying to add a new field to feature classes in a mobile geodatabase ("table or feature class corresponding to this view is read only"). I can edit data within the feature classes, but not the data structure (fields, domains, etc). I also tried creating a new mobile geodatabase in a different folder and copying the offending feature class to it. Still couldn't add a new field.

I'm running ArcGIS Pro 3.1.0. I'm assigned a Basic license currently.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It has its limits according to

Mobile geodatabases—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

and the comment

There are only a few management tasks you perform on mobile geodatabases, including creating, renaming, and moving the geodatabase. Mobile geodatabases do not include authentication or authorization capabilities, are intended for use by one person or app at a time, and support undo and redo when editing. Any operations at the geodatabase level should be performed solely through ArcGIS.

The exclusion of "edit", suggests that those task listed at the geodatabase level are permissable (create, rename, move) and those that aren't listed need to be done by Pro, probably meaning you have to recreate it.

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It has its limits according to

Mobile geodatabases—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

and the comment

There are only a few management tasks you perform on mobile geodatabases, including creating, renaming, and moving the geodatabase. Mobile geodatabases do not include authentication or authorization capabilities, are intended for use by one person or app at a time, and support undo and redo when editing. Any operations at the geodatabase level should be performed solely through ArcGIS.

The exclusion of "edit", suggests that those task listed at the geodatabase level are permissable (create, rename, move) and those that aren't listed need to be done by Pro, probably meaning you have to recreate it.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
jmaxwell_braun
New Contributor III

Thanks @DanPatterson. It didn't even occur to me that a limitation for something seemingly simple like this existed. I guess we will hold off on using mGDBs for day to day use.

0 Kudos