Pop-ups not working in Map Viewer

04-20-2023 09:18 AM
Triflight
New Contributor II

Hi,

I have a web map created in ArcGIS Online where the pop-ups for one of the layers does not work. When clicked on, instead of the pop-up popping up nothing happens. The other layers on the map have their pop-ups working correctly.

The problem layer in question has pop-ups turned on and they are custom configured to display a select number of fields & it uses an Arcade expression for the title.

When using the map in the Field Maps mobile app and selecting a feature from this layer, the custom configured pop-up works and can be viewed. When viewing the map in Map Viewer Classic, the custom configured pop-up works and can be viewed. When viewing the map in Experience Builder using the map widget, the issue persists and the pop-ups do not work.

I am truly unsure why Map Viewer refuses to display pop-ups for this single layer, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

49 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Can you share the map and I can take a look. If both Map Viewer and Experience Builder are showing the issue it could be related to API both apps use.

Triflight
New Contributor II

I, unfortunately, cannot share the map for data security reasons.

I had assumed that Experience Builder's pop-up weren't working simply because the widget shows the same view as the Map Viewer and since Map Viewer didn't work, neither would Experience Builder. An additional detail that I forgot to add is that Experience Builder is actually linked to a different map that also has the same hosted feature layer as the first map. So 2 different maps displaying the same hosted feature layer who's pop-ups do not work correctly. Other pop-ups work correctly on both maps.

Is the API something I could check myself with no background in it?

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

You can toss you web map id in this sample and see if you get popups returned.

https://developers.arcgis.com/javascript/latest/sample-code/sandbox/?sample=webmap-basic

I would say the next steps you will have to log an issue with support and someone will have to look at the web map and layer to see if there is a property overriding the popup or another issue present. 

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

One other thing - double check that the layer supports query. If query is not present on the service capabilities we wont be able to generate the popup. 

0 Kudos
Triflight
New Contributor II

Pop-ups for the layer continue to not work in the sample. Pop-ups for the other layers continue to work.

I'm not 100% sure how to check if the layer supports query, best I could find from googling is to check the hosted feature layer's editing permissions, which are all set to the highest editing capability level. Screenshot below:

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

You would see this at the REST level for the service under 

Supported Operations:

0 Kudos
Triflight
New Contributor II

I am unfamiliar with how to access the REST level, as far I know the layer is hosted on my ArcGIS Online account and I don't see any other settings on the ArcGIS Online page. The layer in question was created in ArcGIS Pro and then transferred to ArcGIS Online via the Publish Web Layer tool if that makes any difference. Prior to yesterday, the pop-ups on this layer were operating correctly. Then, they stopped working for reasons unknown to me.

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

Have you tried just configuring with default popup?  Would at least tell you if it was related to haveing an Arcade expression as part of it.

R_

0 Kudos
Triflight
New Contributor II

I have not reset the pop-ups to default but when removing the Arcade expression and changing the title to both a field and also simply the word "title", the pop-ups continue to work. The Arcade expression, the field, and the word "title" all worked correctly in the little pop-up preview that Map Viewer gives you. It's only when actually attempting to click on a feature does the pop-up not pop-up.

There is another layer with an Aracde expression as part of the title, the same Arcade expression in fact, that operates correctly.

0 Kudos