FeatureLayer Definition Expression

Jump to solution
3 weeks ago
SaurabhUpadhyaya
Occasional Contributor

Hi Friends,

I am trying to implement Definition Expression on Feature Layer.

In our application account and consultant are stored in db as json format {"Account": "Hospital", "Consultant": "Pediatrics"} datatype charcter varaying.

Now when i am trying to filter data on definition expression "Consultant": "Pediatrics" and it is not giving any result.

Can anyone help me

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoelBennett
MVP Regular Contributor

If the JSON text is stored in string format like shown, I think you'd need a query more like the following (where "FIELD_NAME" is the name of the field being filtered):

FIELD_NAME LIKE '%"Consultant": "Pediatrics"%'

Setting the definitionExpression would then be something like:

layer.definitionExpression = "FIELD_NAME LIKE '%\"Consultant\": \"Pediatrics\"%'";

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
UndralBatsukh
Esri Regular Contributor

It should be layer.definitionExpression = "Consultant = 'Pediatrics'"

0 Kudos
JoelBennett
MVP Regular Contributor

If the JSON text is stored in string format like shown, I think you'd need a query more like the following (where "FIELD_NAME" is the name of the field being filtered):

Setting the definitionExpression would then be something like:

layer.definitionExpression = "FIELD_NAME LIKE '%\"Consultant\": \"Pediatrics\"%'";

0 Kudos
SaurabhUpadhyaya
Occasional Contributor

Hi @JoelBennett 

Thanks for your response and it is working fine.

Now as i explained in previous question data is stored in json format where some values are integer/ double where i want to use < less than or > greater than operator in definition expression.

JSON Data :  {"Account": "Hospital", "Consultant": "Pediatrics", "Sales": 65.0, "Assets": 2.5}

definition expression : 

This is just an idea not exactly, want to add and Sales > 65.0 with existing definition expression ("Consultant": "Pediatrics" and  Sales > 65.0)

0 Kudos
JoelBennett
MVP Regular Contributor

This is admittedly ugly, and there may be a better way, but in theory it should work:

FIELD_NAME LIKE '%"Consultant": "Pediatrics"%' AND TO_NUMBER(SUBSTR(FIELD_NAME, INSTR(FIELD_NAME, 1, '"Sales": ') + 9, INSTR(FIELD_NAME, 1, ', "Assets":') - (INSTR(FIELD_NAME, 1, '"Sales": ') + 9))) > 65

Some databases out there like Oracle provide native support for JSON fields, but I don't think ArcGIS necessarily supports that field type though.

0 Kudos
SaurabhUpadhyaya
Occasional Contributor

Its not working.

In my postgres db data stored in character varaying datatype and values are stored in json format.

Can you please check again,

Thanks

0 Kudos
SaurabhUpadhyaya
Occasional Contributor
0 Kudos
JoelBennett
MVP Regular Contributor

My background is primarily in Oracle, and I've never used Postgres.  If you're limited to standardized queries then you won't be able to do this with just a definitionExpression.

An alternative would be to query the service with the filters you can use, further filter the results on the client-side, and then add all matching features to a GraphicsLayer or client-side FeatureLayer.

0 Kudos