Allow Multiple Geometry Types and Fields in the Location Well

06-28-2023 08:26 AM
JoeEastman1
New Contributor II

It would be great if we could drop a "Shape" field into the Location well that contains different geometry types. Right now we are able to drop, for example, features which are all polylines into the Location well. But I want to pull polylines and point features into Power BI, combine those tables, and drop the "Shape" field into the Location well and visualize both polylines and points on the map.

I am accessing our data through a client id and secret via an application I have set up to avoid the need to log into an ArcGIS account. Because of this I am limited to only showing one set of features and symbolizing all of those features the same way.

Perhaps we could drop multiple fields into the location well and then each would show up as a separate layer and we could then name them in the Location well accordingly and have multiple geometry types represented on the map.

1 Comment
Ian_Muehlenhaus

Interesting idea @JoeEastman1 .

I love the idea! (Perhaps someone will say it's not feasible, though. I simply don't know. 🙂

ArcGIS Insights allows datasets to have multiple location fields. But development of Insights isn't constrained by MS365 ecosystem requirements, so perhaps doing this is simply impossible in ArcGIS for Power BI.

Still, I appreciate the neat idea. If it is possible, hopefully something can be done like this. 

Thanks for sharing your ideas on the Community!