Field map alternatives for windows 11

Jump to solution
03-20-2024 10:27 AM
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

We were planning on deploying Field Maps on windows 11. But now that Microsoft's support is ending for Android that is no longer looking like a viable option. So, I am looking for some suggestions for GIS solutions for our filed workers on win 11 devices. We would like them to be able to view data only -- no editing or forms. It would be nice if we could get the device's GPS location to show up on the map. We would also like it to be available offline (in remote areas outside of cell coverage).

So, far I have thought of a Portal App in a web browser. I also thought about ArcGIS explorer with a local tile cache for offline use. Suggestions?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

So it sounds like ESRI developed field maps for windows 11 but had the rug pulled on them? Unfortunate but for map centric apps on Windows that really only leaves you Pro and Earth.

I recall during the collector overhauls ESRI sharing the % of users on Windows for field work. It was extremely low. It's not surprising that they and other mobile app developers focus on iOS/Android. Windows Handheld support was another one.

Survey123 could do it via Inbox but the map is very limited.

Thanks for sharing this info. I guess your options are roughly:

• Web apps (great, but don't work offline)
  • Survey123 (offline but map not good)
  • ArcGIS Pro (best option, but overkill for $ and skill)
  • ArcGIS Earth (the app designed for free viewing on windows, but less functionality)
  • Use iOS or Android devices

I'd encourage you and any other users wanting a dedicated field maps app for Windows to let them know (enh requests, ideas and through account managers). 

View solution in original post

19 Replies
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Have there been any communications from Esri on Field Maps for Windows 11 being dropped / the lack of android support?

Don't use ArcGIS Explorer, it's retired.

Portal web mapping applications are your best bet, for light-weight and easy to use apps. Some apps can show user location if the device is enabled for it.

There is also ArcGIS Earth. I believe it supports offline but haven't used it.

https://www.esri.com/en-us/arcgis/products/arcgis-earth/overview

0 Kudos
RyanUthoff
Occasional Contributor III

Esri was completely silent about Windows 11 support at the Dev Summit last week. I went to multiple Field Maps/Apps sessions and no one even acknowledged it in the ones I attended. And in one of them while talking about OS compatibility, they only mentioned Android/iOS without acknowledging Windows 11 retirement. I talked to the Field Maps team in the Expo and their official stance is not in the product plan at this time.

Here is Esri's official statement on Field Maps on Windows 11: https://support.esri.com/en-us/knowledge-base/arcgis-field-maps-on-windows-subsystem-for-android-dep...

I was personally told ArcGIS Earth as an alternative, but it's a pretty bad replacement (not calling ArcGIS Earth bad, but a bad replacement for Field Maps). If you ever used the Google Earth program, it's essentially a copy of that. You can use MMPKs in them, but they do not respect pre-set symbology, meaning your symbology is going to change every time you bring it into Earth. It doesn't track user's GPS location. S123 launch links do no work. And popup information takes many seconds to load, vs. the same web map in Portal taking only a second. 

I've never tried this on a Windows 11 tablet, but you might be able to run an Android emulator and use Field Maps that way, although I don't know how well the performance of am emulator would be on a tablet though.

ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

So it sounds like ESRI developed field maps for windows 11 but had the rug pulled on them? Unfortunate but for map centric apps on Windows that really only leaves you Pro and Earth.

I recall during the collector overhauls ESRI sharing the % of users on Windows for field work. It was extremely low. It's not surprising that they and other mobile app developers focus on iOS/Android. Windows Handheld support was another one.

Survey123 could do it via Inbox but the map is very limited.

Thanks for sharing this info. I guess your options are roughly:

• Web apps (great, but don't work offline)
  • Survey123 (offline but map not good)
  • ArcGIS Pro (best option, but overkill for $ and skill)
  • ArcGIS Earth (the app designed for free viewing on windows, but less functionality)
  • Use iOS or Android devices

I'd encourage you and any other users wanting a dedicated field maps app for Windows to let them know (enh requests, ideas and through account managers). 

RyanUthoff
Occasional Contributor III

Technically no, they didn't develop it for Windows 11. They decided to use the Windows Subsystem for Android (WSA) which allowed them to essentially copy their Android version of Field Maps into the Android Subsystem with minimal development effort. They did not develop a native Windows 11 app. But they did get the rug pulled out from under them with the deprecation of the (WSA). This wouldn't have been an issue if a native Windows 11 app was built from the beginning though.

forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

I did think about the emulator too. I think it might technically work fine. But it sounds unwieldy from a IT support/admin point of view.

Maybe Arc earth is worth looking at for us.

We could just install ArcMap on all the devices and push a fgdb export of sde to the win 11 machines for offline use. It feels like going back in time. But maybe that is the thing to do. 

0 Kudos
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

I reached out to Esri support regarding the future of Field maps on win 11. They said to used it on a android or iOS device. So, I guess that is a no for now. Field maps is dead on windows.

0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Planning to use ArcGIS Pro on Windows 11 tough tablet because it does the GPS RTK vertical elevation on-the-fly adjustment to orthometric height in ftUS into the geometry's z-value

0 Kudos
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

That is cool. But we don't have that use case.

0 Kudos
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

Okay so it looks like Explorer is not technically dead on windows:

Deprecation Notice for Explorer, Collector, and Tracker (esri.com)

"What about the Windows versions of Collector and Explorer? Will they be retired in December 2021 as well?

We are not actively in development of ArcGIS Field Maps on the Windows 10 platform, so Collector (Windows) and Explorer (Windows) will be supported for the foreseeable future. While they are not planned to retire – there are no additional enhancements planned for the Windows apps.

For users who need a Windows solution in active development, ArcGIS Survey123 and ArcGIS QuickCapture are active in their cross-platform development and continue to build new features on the Windows platform.

Additionally, ArcGIS Pro supports GPS-based data collection workflows (blue dot, map panning to keep blue dot centered, etc.). ArcGIS Pro already supports commonly requested features such as the Utility Network and the ability to operate completely offline for long periods of time."

So, this does not say anything about windows 11 support. I am guessing it is not supported there.

0 Kudos