Select to view content in your preferred language

Field map alternatives for windows 11

Jump to solution
03-20-2024 10:27 AM
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

We were planning on deploying Field Maps on windows 11. But now that Microsoft's support is ending for Android that is no longer looking like a viable option. So, I am looking for some suggestions for GIS solutions for our filed workers on win 11 devices. We would like them to be able to view data only -- no editing or forms. It would be nice if we could get the device's GPS location to show up on the map. We would also like it to be available offline (in remote areas outside of cell coverage).

So, far I have thought of a Portal App in a web browser. I also thought about ArcGIS explorer with a local tile cache for offline use. Suggestions?

Tags (1)
19 Replies
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

So, it does look like ArcGIS Explorer is only available for windows 10.

What are the requirements ArcGIS Explorer?

0 Kudos
JosephRhodes2
Occasional Contributor II

I've tested Explorer on Windows 11. It seems to work fine and is available from the Microsoft Store.

I'm afraid to deploy to any production workflows since all the support links for Explorer in the Microsoft Store redirect you to Field Maps docs. It's unclear whether Explorer is still supported by Esri, or if so, what the Explorer support lifecycle might look like. But we are in a bit of a bind without a Windows 11 option that can show device location with offline capability.

0 Kudos
RyanUthoff
Regular Contributor

Per this article (https://support.esri.com/en-us/knowledge-base/arcgis-explorer-deprecation-000026437#:~:text=The%20Ar...), Esri isn't deprecating Explorer on Windows, but they also aren't "enhancing" it either. So it sounds like if something breaks on it someday, it just isn't going to be fixed. Unfortunately, us Windows 11 users were left out to dry. I still don't understand why half of Esri's mobile app ecosystem has Windows 11 support, but the other half doesn't. Sure, let's collect data in Survey123 on Windows 11, but let's not give you the ability to view it in Field Maps. Makes no sense at all.

0 Kudos
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

I believe the windows versions of the mobile apps didn't go through the original collector 'classic' overhaul aka the aurora project. I'd advise anyone considering Explorer or Collector on Windows 10 to either design their maps specifically for these apps or check the behaviour of newer functionality (arcade, symbology) as it might not be what you expect.

0 Kudos
JosephRhodes2
Occasional Contributor II

I did some more testing, and our 4x map looks great on Explorer on Windows 11 without any modification. Arcade expressions work (including FeatureSets). Multiline labels and layer grouping from hosted feature layers. Created an MMPK and it works almost as well, but without curved labels.

@RyanUthoff: ArcGIS Explorer (Windows) Life Cycle | Esri Support shows Explorer still in General Availability, which means patches/bugfixes should happen, maybe. It would be great if someone from Esri could confirm. It looks to still be fully supported, although I know the official recommendation is to move to Field Maps on iOS/Android.

FWIW, our use case is a sheriff's office needing offline maps on their Windows-based mobile data terminals (ruggedized laptops mounted in patrol cars). Moving to Android or iOS just isn't possible.

JakeBrownMaps
Esri Contributor

Little late this thread - here is the official deprecation notice for Field Maps on Windows 11. Others have mentioned, Field Maps on Windows 11 ran on Windows Subsystem for Android which was deprecated by Microsoft.  

Recommendations are as follows: 

The recommended approach is to utilize ArcGIS Field Maps on Android and iOS platforms. At this time, a Windows version of ArcGIS Field Maps is not planned. Alternative ArcGIS applications using the Windows’s platform include ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Survey123, ArcGIS QuickCapture, and ArcGIS Earth.  

forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

@JakeBrownMaps Why is ArcMap not on your list?

0 Kudos
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

ArcMap entered mature support this month and is getting retired in 2026. No development and increasing divide between it and other parts of the platform like Arcade and Map Viewer. There's been a migration to Pro push for at least 4-5 years. Existing users should be looking to move off it ASAP and new users should not be considering it. No one should be recommending ArcMap, especially Esri staff. 

Technically, ArcGIS Pro better supports web map workflows for publishing, online and offline. ArcMap is not comparable.

forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

Yes, I am very aware of the ArcMap life cycle and Pro push. We are a power utility. So, we will not be getting off ArcMap for a number of years as the migration to the utility network is a major undertaking. I think for us it makes the most sense to just deploy ArcMap to the devices with fgdb dump of our SDE for offline use. And then use a Portal web map or app for online use. That way we can use the same mxd on the device that the web services are based off.

0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

The end of software updates and patches is the end of ArcMap for us from a security point of view (Feb 2024).

BillFox_0-1711738145140.png

0 Kudos