Add option to include a generic dataset in FieldMaps

09-01-2023 01:27 PM
Labels (2)
AlfredBaldenweck
MVP Regular Contributor

I would like for FieldMaps to have the option to automatically include a set of blank point, line, polygon feature classes to use for data that may be worth collecting but you didn't foresee collecting-- For example, your project is to document archaeological sites, but you happen across an unauthorized latrine that needs to be reported so it can be removed (real example).

This is one of the largest complaints my users have when migrating from programs like Terrasync*; FieldMaps requires you to plan for everything in advance, with no wiggle room for surprises. Consequently, the map-maker has to provide a generic dataset for each project themselves. I, personally, would prefer to not have to manually create a blank generic feature class for every single collection project. 

The product I would like to see is a toggle in FieldMaps Editor to create and add a set of blank point, line, polygon feature classes to each map, each containing a comments field.* That's it.

They could be called "<Map Name> _<Geometry Type>_Generic" or something, so that we could figure out where this data came from.

Having this toggle would save everyone a bunch of time and make it much easier to pivot for the unexpected things.

*Terrasync allowed you to input your data dictionary, but also provided a catch-all set for things that didn't match)

**Maybe also metadata fields like GPS precision, Collector Name, etc.? But we wouldn't see those during collection, of course.

1 Comment
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA

We manage this by doing something similar to yourself. We have a point, line and polygon layer called Scrap_Geometry (i.e. Scrap_Points). These feature services are loaded into every map we produce. You could restrict the amount of stuff that users see by setting the layers to only show features created by that user on their setting pages. We don't do that though - it's just a generic dump location for anything that doesn't have a home in whatever map the user is using. Yes, it's getting pretty cluttered, no we don't actively monitor it - it is long overdue for a major clean-out, but it serves it's purpose well. We recently even added a "Class" field to enable users to capture different types of information in the same location (layers are symbolised by the Class field). This means users are able to differentiate between features by using different classes (i.e. capture some errant weeds as Class 1 and a washed-out culvert as Class 2).