Troubleshooting error 10583 "A value passed for the field X is invalid"

10-20-2021 08:42 AM
BrittanyBurson
Occasional Contributor III

Hi all, hoping someone can help troubleshoot. I've got a workbench that I'm using to hopefully publish ongoing updates from publicly hosted Get It Done reports for San Diego. I'm running into this error with the 2021 YTD dataset:

BrittanyBurson_3-1634744351428.png

ArcGIS Portal Feature Service Writer: String attribute 'public_description' truncated to fit maximum field length of 254 on server
... Last line repeated 89 times ...
ArcGIS Portal Feature Service Writer: Writing features for layer/table 'gid_stormwater_1', with 0 inserts, 1000 updates, and 0 deletes
ArcGIS Portal Feature Service Writer: String attribute 'public_description' truncated to fit maximum field length of 254 on server
... Last line repeated 94 times ...
ArcGIS Portal Feature Service Writer: Writing features for layer/table 'gid_stormwater_1', with 0 inserts, 1000 updates, and 0 deletes
ArcGIS Portal Feature Service Writer: 'updateResults' error for a feature in 'gid_stormwater_1'. The error code from the server was '10510' and the message was: 'Operation rolled back.'
... Last line repeated 568 times ...
ArcGIS Portal Feature Service Writer: 'updateResults' error for a feature in 'gid_stormwater_1'. The error code from the server was '10583' and the message was: 'A value passed for the field 'public_description' is invalid.'
ArcGIS Portal Feature Service Writer: 1000 features successfully written to 'gid_stormwater_1', but the server rejected the 1000 features in the last request due to errors. See warnings above. Aborting translation
ARCGISPORTALFEATURES writer: A fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details

If I "Remove" the public_description field using the AttributeManager, it publishes fine.

I was guessing it could be something to do with some accented characters in the public_description field, though I do see these characters successfully published to Portal when published manually.

BrittanyBurson_2-1634744179128.png

I tried using a StringPairReplacer to swap these out, but either I'm not getting them all or it's something else.

BrittanyBurson_1-1634744006907.png

The dataset publishes fine on its own to Portal, it just seems to be the update process where it is getting stuck. I'm new to this extension/FME world so it could be something super obvious. I appreciate any suggestions!

The entire workspace so far...di_workspace.PNG 

Thank you

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Brittany, usually this type of error is an overflow of the data you are attempting to write, meaning the target field public_description is defined as being a particular width but a value coming in is wider.  "description" fields are notorious for this, people write 'books' into some web form and you get more characters than the field can take.  Truncate the data with a string function like @Left(@Value(public_description),100).

0 Kudos
BrittanyBurson
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Bruce! Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention the field length was the first thing I went for as well, but it didn't' seem to help. I tried again at your suggestion to no avail.

However, I did end up finding a single problematic record. I did this by running half the records each time with a less than/greater than X service id, to narrow in on a single record. Once I found it, I confirmed the entire rest of the dataset ran successfully with it removed in the TestFilter:

BrittanyBurson_0-1634829446432.png

Here is the public_description field of this record:

BrittanyBurson_1-1634829692007.png

If I remove the < bracket with a StringPairReplacer, the translation is successful. If I remove only the > bracket, it still fails:

BrittanyBurson_4-1634830853569.png

Interestingly there is a second record with a single < that causes no issues:

BrittanyBurson_3-1634830686499.png

I'm not quite sure how to predict or plan for potential cases like this... is there a list of problematic characters when updating or inserting data in Portal, like there is for field names?

Who knows... but thank you for your help. I'm sure you'll be hearing from me more in the future as we continue to use this tool!

Thank you --

0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Brittany, I think you found a bug - thank you!  I'll follow up with the development folks to take a look.

I look forward to hearing from you!