Connect to mySql

Jump to solution
10-26-2021 03:21 PM
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I have a mysql database I'd like to connect to.  Currently there is no way for arcgis pro to use an odbc connection to mysql.  The issue we are faced with is if we export/write a table to a csv and then import the csv to an fgdb table I lose records.  Not sure how or why.  If I convert it to an xls first and then do an excel to table the same thing happens.  One of the issues we face is there are date fields with null values or blank values; when converting from csv or excel to fgdb table, those values that are not null or blank get converted to the Microsoft serial numbers, not dates the rest of understand so there is more conversion to do.

Long story short; with data interoperability can I connect to mysql and convert the tables there in a fgdb table and not lose data?

That should just about do it....
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Awesome! Sounds like we are going to get it. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

have you tried converting the null/blank dates to a a date not possible in your record, like 01/01/1900 or something, then reverse to whatever when the import is done?

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Yep. That was my first approach. Seemed like a logical first step but with MySQL who knows?!  It’s pretty lame that there isn’t an odbc  connection available with Pro: it’s “being considered “ for a future release .  I’m not holding my breath for that enhancement.

The countdown continues while the light at the end of the tunnel gets brighter.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just tested Data Interop 2.8 using the classicmodels sample database from MySQL and all features from the orders with null ship dates were written using the filegeodb writer.

No records were dropped. I ran the workspace twice and inserted the features twice.

RSalvaleon_0-1635292592493.png

Here's a screenshot of my workspace.

RSalvaleon_1-1635292725386.png

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Awesome! Sounds like we are going to get it.