Flexviewer 3.0 Print Widget - Custom Layouts

Jump to solution
09-17-2012 07:27 AM
JasonNielsen
Occasional Contributor
I have a few questions and I hope somebody at ESRI or the forums can answer is this.

#1.     When i created my custom layouts everything is working fine except for the legend portion. My first issue is that the symbols look terrible and have weird lines going through them. Attached is an image showing the print Widget symbology next to what the symbols should look like.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17726[/ATTACH]

How can i get this corrected? Most of the symbols are not that complicated. Either solid filled, or outlines.

#2.     How can you control what is added to the legend? I've tried the default legend widget that comes with the viewer and i've tried the Dynamic Legend widget that robert created and it does remove the items from the dynamic legend by using the exclude Layer and the Id of the layer to remove, but it will still shows up on the PDF in the print widget.

Does it pull the legends from each MXD? If so, if i create a legend for each basemap or operational layer will it honor what is to show in the legend for the website. I've attempted to remove items from the MXDs so they would not show on the PDF but it appears to have no effect on what shows on the legend.

#3.     Can you set the Legend to only show what is displayed on the screen? I know this works on Arcmap 10.1 for a standard map but i don't see this working for an flex application. Is this possible or any workaround people know of?

If anybody else has suggestions i welcome them.

Thanks,

Jason
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JasonNielsen
Occasional Contributor
I am having the same problem with my Legend displaying incorrectly with simple symbols when I export to PDF, but the other image formats are fine.  Is there a solution to this issue?

My way to fix this was ESRI told me to change the DEFAULT printer on the server. Make the default paper size larger than any map layouts you have. So if you biggest map layout is 11x17 change the default paper size on your default printer to 24x36 or something like that. Also, i made the quality of the print be the highest of quality (600 dpi) instead of fast print or draft if your printer has such an option. After i did this, my PDF come out fine.

Not sure why exactly that is the workaround but it did fix my strange lines in my legend. This will correct your PDF problem and all of the other formats will work as well. Hope that helps 🙂

jason

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ToddLaQuay
New Contributor III
I am having the same problem with my Legend displaying incorrectly with simple symbols when I export to PDF, but the other image formats are fine.  Is there a solution to this issue?
0 Kudos
JasonNielsen
Occasional Contributor

My way to fix this was ESRI told me to change the DEFAULT printer on the server. Make the default paper size larger than any map layouts you have. So if you biggest map layout is 11x17 change the default paper size on your default printer to 24x36 or something like that. Also, i made the quality of the print be the highest of quality (600 dpi) instead of fast print or draft if your printer has such an option. After i did this, my PDF come out fine.

Not sure why exactly that is the workaround but it did fix my strange lines in my legend. This will correct your PDF problem and all of the other formats will work as well. Hope that helps 🙂

jason
0 Kudos
MegPeterson
New Contributor III
Hi Jason -

Have you ever seen this issue before? I tried your suggestion and it doesn't seem to be working for my printer set up.

My 11x17 Landscape map prints the symbology fine, but my 11x17 Portrait maps run into the same problem you experienced before. I just running 10.1 service pack 1. Any other suggestions?

Thanks, m
0 Kudos
JasonNielsen
Occasional Contributor
Hi Jason -

Have you ever seen this issue before? I tried your suggestion and it doesn't seem to be working for my printer set up.

My 11x17 Landscape map prints the symbology fine, but my 11x17 Portrait maps run into the same problem you experienced before. I just running 10.1 service pack 1. Any other suggestions?

Thanks, m

Here is a link somebody posted earlier to me and it seemed to fix my issues. http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/40538

I set my default on the server to our plotter and created a giant size custom size of 44x60. I have 24x36 layouts setup and wanted to make sure i dont have to deal with this issue later on so that why i went with that size.

In the link above make sure to follow all of the steps carefully. And make sure you know which account the ArcGIS Server Service is running as in Services.

Another thing to try is changing the DPI which i grabbed the code from this thread which helped on getting a better quality in the map. A big thanks to rhett for this bit of code. http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/71331-FV-3-advanced-print-widget-output-quality?highlight=dpi+setti...

Hopefully that will take care of your issues.
MegPeterson
New Contributor III
Thanks for your quick response Jason! I'll give these suggestions a try. Best, m
0 Kudos