Export WebMap PDF Legend

Jump to solution
08-06-2012 11:54 PM
ShaunWeston
Occasional Contributor
I'm using the new printing tools to create a web map through a Flex application and am finding issues with the quality of the PDF exports. It seems the legend for PDF exports is not rendering properly for the legend (see below these are meant to be fill colours), whereas JPEG works fine. I've played around with the DPI settings, but doesn't seem to work on the legend. Not sure how to the symbology for the legend items is rendedred in PDFs

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16727[/ATTACH]
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor
You are right, unfortunately this is a limitation of the Printing Service when the output type is a vector format such as PDF or SVG.
Good news is that there is a workaround.

• log onto your server as ArcGIS Server Account user

• set the default printer's page size something that is larger than the size of the layout of your choice.

• restart ArcGIS Server service

for more information please read this KB article which targets the Desktop, but it is the same that affect the Printing Service - Bug:  Inserted images and objects fail to draw on export or print

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
ShaunWeston
Occasional Contributor
After doing a bit of reading round it seems like this is just a limitation of the Export Web Map GP tool?

So, the Export Web Map GP tool is just creating a cached image of the services that are turned on and this must be creating a below quality legend. If I create a tool using the arcpy.mapping module and store the layers in the map document it should fix the issue I think. Follow this tutorial here - http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Tutorial_Basic_high_quality_web_map_printi...
0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor
You are right, unfortunately this is a limitation of the Printing Service when the output type is a vector format such as PDF or SVG.
Good news is that there is a workaround.

• log onto your server as ArcGIS Server Account user

• set the default printer's page size something that is larger than the size of the layout of your choice.

• restart ArcGIS Server service

for more information please read this KB article which targets the Desktop, but it is the same that affect the Printing Service - Bug:  Inserted images and objects fail to draw on export or print
0 Kudos
ShaunWeston
Occasional Contributor
Wow cool thanks for that workaround, it works. So, I just logged into the server as the arcgis account and changed the printer default to A2 size and that fixed it.
0 Kudos
AaronBaumgarden
New Contributor III
Hello,

I am posting this here because all of the other posts I found about this topic pointed to this feed.  I am running into a similar issue at 10.2 but the web service I'm using is being hosted on another server.  Is there another work around that will allow me to print the symbology since I can't change the server settings for their service?

Thanks,

Aaron
0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor
Aaron,
Unfortunately the problem is a server side issue and I can't think of anything that you could do to work around this problem from the client side for a map service layer.

Only if it were (a) a featurelayer and (b)all symbols are simple-symbols (not picture marker/fill symbols), it might have worked for you.

I will strongly recommend you to talk to the admin of the server running the Printing Service and have the work around implemented.

If the server admin absolutely can't do that: can you use png? this particular issue should not exist with png or jpeg.

Tanu
0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor
[update]
Here is the KB article targeting the Printing Service http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/40538
0 Kudos
AleydisG__Pere
Occasional Contributor
I'm also running into this, but I have no printer configured in my server. What to do then?
0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor
Aleydis:
unfortunately you don't have any other option but installing printer driver on your server to work around this problem with pdf.
0 Kudos
AndrewBartle
New Contributor II

Hi, I have this issue with ArcGIS Server 10.7.1 however ArcGIS Server is running with a service account. Group managed service accounts don’t support interactive login, so we can’t login as the service account to change the printing preferences. 

Is there an alternative way to fix this issue?

Thanks

0 Kudos