Not able to do post-installation, error while creating repository...

09-01-2010 04:10 AM
SukheshKrishna
New Contributor
Hi Everyone,

I am doing post-installation of ArcSDE 9.3.1, but while creating the database(say 'sde') I am getting message saying that the 'ArcSDE repository was unsuccessfuly compleated. Would you like to view the status ?' if I click Yes, a notepad appears with the following content;

WARNING: Parameter "TEMP" not found in giomgr.defs file!
WARNING: Setting TEMP to "C:\Users\TELMO~1.NOG\AppData\Local\Temp"
Error: Underlying DBMS error (-51).
Error: SDE release install not completed.
Check SDEHOME\etc\sde_setup.log for more details.

In the log it says:

[Wed Sep 01 12:45:47 2010] Error creating VERSION table. (-51)
[Wed Sep 01 12:45:47 2010] DBMS error code: 2760
Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 10.0: The specified schema name "sde" either does not exist or you do not have permission to use it.

System Info: Windows 7 64 bit, SQL Server 2008 R2 64 bit.

Any one help me in resolving this issue please....

I have also attached the screen-shot for your kind reference....

Regards,
Sukhesh Krsihna.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
OttarViken_Valvåg
New Contributor III
I've seen this, in my case the problem was that the sde user had not been created because I hadn't specified a strong password for the sde user.

I went back to the start of the post install and specified a strong password for the sde user (not just sde / sde), and this solved my problem.
0 Kudos
NigelPereira
New Contributor III
The same error is being returned when I try to create a dbo-schema geodatabase using an administrator account: "Parameter "TEMP" not found in giomgr.defs file!"
0 Kudos
ThomasDunn
Occasional Contributor
The warning about the TEMP variable can be ignored. When it is not already set in the GIOMGR.DEFS file when the post installer runs, a default location for temporary files is chosen instead. You can see where this location is on the line following the warning.

The most like reason for the initial error shown on this thread is that the database name chosen on the repository setup dialog is different than the one chosen on the earlier database creation dialog. On the repository setup dialog the default database name is "sde" but usually should be changed to match the name in the earlier dialog.  We are aware that this can cause confusion and hope to change this default in a later release.
0 Kudos
NigelPereira
New Contributor III
The database name chosen on the repository setup and the one chosen on the earlier database creation dialog are the same.
0 Kudos