Viewing ArcGIS Online Web Maps on Mobile Devices

10-05-2012 12:59 PM
John-PaulBrashear
New Contributor
I have no problem viewing web maps on iOS devices with the ArcGIS app. My issue is with Trimble GPS handhelds (Nomad & Juno) that are running windows mobile 6.1 classic & internet explorer mobile. Is there a ArcGIS app for these type of mobile devices? When I try just using the browser on the gps unit, the web map display doesn't adjust to fit the screen size? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Tags (2)
10 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
There are no apps for these devices. You might try using the simple viewer application template that is accessed via the Share button when viewing the map. Publish a web application based on the simple viewer. Here's one I made that you can try to access from your mobile device.

http://www.arcgis.com/apps/SimpleMapViewer/index.html?appid=fb112353eb6f457cad27d7ee8f467a69&webmap=...

Mike
0 Kudos
SanneMikkelsen
Occasional Contributor

Hi Mike

Why do you have to login to view the application? I have made an applikation like yours, but it is for our citizens, and they are not supposed to login to see the map.

And when I do login to my own map application, http://vejle.maps.arcgis.com/apps/SimpleViewer/index.html?appid=fe1858ff2c914aca9f157477ac61ef98‌, all I can see on my phone is a blank page with a tiny button in the upper corner. The map is shared to all.

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

Sanne,

The likely problem is that one or more items are not shared publicly, and thus the app prompts the user to sign in.

So, when you build an application that you want to view publicly, all components that make up the application must be shared publicly. This includes:

• Any layers that are items added to your My Content.
  • The web map itself.
  • The application you created.

thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
SanneMikkelsen
Occasional Contributor

Hi Mike

Thanks!

I have just checked up on it. My webmap is shared to all, the application is shared to all. I have two layers, one from out REST-service: Layer: Parkeringspladser (ID: 5)‌ (no login needed) and one from ESRI: World traffic map.

I still need to login?

What can be wrong?

This is my application: Public Information Map

0 Kudos
KasperLiden_Kjaerbo
New Contributor II

I can browse your data when accessing your map service directly on http://kortservice.vejle.dk/gis/rest/services/Vej_Trafik/Vejdrift_simplekort/MapServer.

Try check your AGOL for organisations settings -> security:

Capture.PNG

Did you tick the "Members can share content outside the organization" on?

Best regards,

Kasper

MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

The issue is the Esri world traffic layer, it requires an organizational account; thus requires someone to sign in. This note is in the description of the layer:

The World Traffic map service is available for users with an ArcGIS Online organizational subscription. To access this map layer, you'll need to sign in with an account that is a member of an organizational subscription.

At the present time, you can't use this layer in a public map. We are working on ways to allow organizations to include this layer in public maps and accept the credit cost of public usage.

Thanks,

Mike

SanneMikkelsen
Occasional Contributor

Hi Mike

But that was the coolest part of the application! Anyway, thank you so much for the solution:-)

0 Kudos
Reynaldde_Castro
Occasional Contributor

How is Iowa able to display traffic feed from their site, ArcGIS Web Application?  This is a public facing application.

0 Kudos
Reynaldde_Castro
Occasional Contributor

I figured it out...add the traffic service as a new item and pass in credentials.  This new item can then be added to the webmap.

0 Kudos