Failed to start server machine.

08-22-2012 12:33 AM
EleanorMclachlan
New Contributor
Hi all,

We recently installed ArcGIS server 10.1 on a virtual windows server (2008 enterprise, 64 bit). This was a fresh install - we weren't upgrading from version 10.0.

Everything was working fine until yesterday morning, we came in and all the services were stopped. If I go to the ArcGIS server manager - GIS Server - Machines the server machine is shown as stopped. If I try to restart it by clicking the little play button I get an error: ???Failed to start the server machine. Could not start application server within stipulated time". I've checked the logs and they all either have this error message or "Failed to start the server machine. Server machine is currently being configured by another process. Please try again later". Although am pretty sure there weren???t any other processes configuring at the time.

Any advice/ suggestions would be hugely appreciated.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
LeahSaunders
New Contributor III
I have had the same problem.  I haven't figured out a solution, did you manage to fix this?  I have uninstalled, and reinstalled, and can't seem to find anything in the logs..stumped!
0 Kudos
EleanorMclachlan
New Contributor
Hi Leah,

I raised a call with ESRI technical support. They couldn't suggest much apart from to check if the server meets the required spec (it does) and to uninstall and reinstall the server software. I did that and it did restart the machine. However, it's now really flaky. Services keep randomly stopping as does the machine itself. We're having to restart the ArcGIS service all the time to get everything back up. Some services won't even delete.... Getting pretty frustrated.
0 Kudos
StevenGriffith
New Contributor III
Just had this happen to me for the second time. Chatted with ESRI support to fix the problem. Turns out it was a permissions issue onthe "arcgisserver" directory. We installed the ArcGIS server and told the installer to run the service with a local account that we gave minimal permission to. (Typical security practice). Problem was that the installer did not give this service account enough permissions on the site directories. Up the permissions for our service account on the "arcgisserver" directory tree and everything is now working again. We're still testing to ensure that all things are working, but so far, so good.

Steve G
County of SLO
0 Kudos