Making multiple columns in map legends - ArcMap 9.3

03-08-2012 04:12 AM
PhilipMorrison
New Contributor
How do I create multiple columns in a map legend in ArcMap 9.3?  I can find absolutely nothing in the ArcGIS Desktop Help about columns in legends.

I tried the Columns field in the Legend Properties dialog box.  I also tried clicking on the "Place in New Column" field for several of the legend items as well.  I've even done a combination of the two.  No matter what I do, I always get the same result.  It looks like it adds a second column but all the layers I add to it are listed horizontally, rather than vertically.  It looks something like this:

XXXX     XXXX     XXXX    XXXX
                                     XXXX
                                     XXXX
                                     XXXX

(It actually comes out with the vertically-listed column on the right and the three horizontally-spaced items on the left.)

How do I get it to make 2 (or 3) vertically-listed columns?

Thanks.

Phil
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MarcinGasior
Occasional Contributor III
You can force legend to create multiple columns by selecting 'Place in new column' for layer which should be in new column and leaving number of columns=1.
Look at this picture:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]12545[/ATTACH]

Only the FC4 is selected to 'Place in new column' and number of columns in 'Columns:' field is left default (1) for each layer.
All the layers below FC4 (in 'Legend Items:' list) are placed in this new column.

If you for example addictionaly select FC7 to 'Place in new column', there will be 3 columns in legend: 1: FC1,FC2,FC3; 2: FC4,FC5,FC6; 3: FC7,FC8.

You can achieve this same effect by setting numbers of columns in 'Columns:' field to 2 for FC4 and leaving 'Place in new column' unselected:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]12546[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
PhilipMorrison
New Contributor
Thank you very much.  That solved my problem.

Phil

You can force legend to create multiple columns by selecting 'Place in new column' for layer which should be in new column and leaving number of columns=1.
Look at this picture:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]12545[/ATTACH]

Only the FC4 is selected to 'Place in new column' and number of columns in 'Columns:' field is left default (1) for each layer.
All the layers below FC4 (in 'Legend Items:' list) are placed in this new column.

If you for example addictionaly select FC7 to 'Place in new column', there will be 3 columns in legend: 1: FC1,FC2,FC3; 2: FC4,FC5,FC6; 3: FC7,FC8.

You can achieve this same effect by setting numbers of columns in 'Columns:' field to 2 for FC4 and leaving 'Place in new column' unselected:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]12546[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos