WAB Print Widget - Can I force it to not include ScaleBar?

Jump to solution
07-09-2020 09:19 AM
Arne_Gelfert
Occasional Contributor III

Granted, we're always taught not to be print maps without scale bars, north arrow... I know, I know. But I have an app in WAB that does not include a scale bar. It's more of a schematic than a true map. So when I print it, the Print widget will include a scale bar in the PDF. Any way to suppress that?  Where would I tweak that in the widget?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

Ame,

print widget/service does not give you any control on scale bar visibility.

If you don't want to see scale bar in the output layout pdf, you need to use a layout template that does not have scale bar.

as you know to use your own layout template, you can't use ArcGIS Online print service or the print service that comes installed with ArcGIS Enterprise/Server, you need to publish your own.

hope this help

Tanu

View solution in original post

10 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Arne,

Why not select the map only print template then?

0 Kudos
Arne_Gelfert

Well, I do want the legend! Otherwise, that would suffice. Is this more of a function of the print template rather than configurable from the widget side?

0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

Ame,

print widget/service does not give you any control on scale bar visibility.

If you don't want to see scale bar in the output layout pdf, you need to use a layout template that does not have scale bar.

as you know to use your own layout template, you can't use ArcGIS Online print service or the print service that comes installed with ArcGIS Enterprise/Server, you need to publish your own.

hope this help

Tanu

Arne_Gelfert

Thanks Tanu... I was suspecting as much and am already fiddling with the Layouts on my Print Service machine. Back to working with MXD's - ha! Thanks for chiming in.

0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

first of all, apologizes as I realized later that I got your name misspelled

Back to working with MXD's

on this, if you are using one of the latest server version (10.6.1 or above -- higher the better ) then I'd suggest you to author layer in ArcGIS Pro and publish a print service from Pro.

0 Kudos
Arne_Gelfert

Thanks, Tanu. Got it working. I tracked down the Print templates directory on my AGS machine that is host to the printing service and saw those MXDs in there. That's where the MXD comment comes from. I thought I could just manipulate those files to make them suit my needs. But then I read a "no no - don't do that" somewhere and didn't

Instead I created a couple of clones of those templates, removed the scalebar from them, and saved to an empty directory. From there, I followed steps 1 - 19 here. While that happened to be for ArcMap, I realize I could've used Pro. As with everything else, ArcMap is just soooo much more intuitive and soooo much easier. I force myself to use Pro when I can and when I'm working in an application (10% of my day) but the emphasis is on "force". I just switched to 2.5 and like it as little as the last release.

Arne_Gelfert

I have to stay step 16 is tricky if you don't really know the role/significance of each parameter

16. Click each parameter and examine the defaults that are set...

I had to go back and try several times before I got useful results. For example, getting a meaningful name for your printing service.

0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Arne,

Glad that you got it working.

I thought I could just manipulate those files to make them suit my needs. But then I read a "no no - don't do that" somewhere and didn't

yep, we don't recommend updating files are part of installation and are stored in the install directory.
also, (not sure which version of ArcGIS Server you have), when you move to 10.6.1 or above, the default print service (that comes installed with Server) does not use mxd, rather use pagx files authored from ArcGIS Pro.

While that happened to be for ArcMap, I realize I could've used Pro. As with everything else, ArcMap is just soooo much more intuitive and soooo much easier. I force myself to use Pro when I can and when I'm working in an application (10% of my day) but the emphasis is on "force". I just switched to 2.5 and like it as little as the last release.

Sorry to hear that you need to force yourself to use ArcGIS Pro.

The reason I asked you to use Pro to publish a print service is because there are a lot of enhancements and bug fixes went in there - one of the big improvements is the support for vector tile layers.

re: step# 16

thanks for the feedback - we will take a look and see how we can make it better.

Tanu

0 Kudos
Arne_Gelfert

Thanks all the good info. I've repeated the same steps in Pro and have to admit (can't believe I'm doing this - haha)... when you're authoring layouts, Pro exceeds the experience in ArcMap in terms of manipulating the layout elements. Good job! - I'll have another post about the Print Widget shortly. But this part I've got down for now, Thanks, Tanu.