ArcPro is not allowing editing of 123 forms that have new list items added

Jump to solution
05-28-2019 09:35 AM
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

We know that if you publish a form with a select_one list it will create domain values.  But it only does this on the first publish.  If you add more values later the domain is not updated.

Well the new version of ArcPro is now not letting anyone edit anything because it keeps saying the value is not in the domain.  Which is true, it is not in the domain.  This is NOT the field we are trying to edit but it stops us anyway.  

Is there anyway to fix this? Or get around it?  And I hope you don't say adding the new domain values manually because I have thousands.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @DougBrowning,

Just wanted to let you know with the upcoming 3.16 October Release of Survey123 we have made improvements to the Connect publishing workflow with regards to domains and choice lists. You can check out the latest announcement, documentation and test out the latest 3.16 beta builds via the Early Adopter Community to get early access to these builds and the new Connect publishing workflows. You feedback on these improvements would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Phil.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Doug,

Can you copy the list to a CSV and use Table to Domain - Table To Domain—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop to update the domain?

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I don't think that tool works on a Hosted Feature service does it?

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I found a way to at least edit it for now.

In Pro on the Edit tab there is a option in the middle called Attributes.  If you select a feature then hit this Attributes button it opens a new window that is just for editing one feature at a time.  It still gives me big errors in Red about my values not being in the Domain but it at least does let me save.

If you try to edit in a Attribute Table it will not let you at all.  This does mean that 123 is creating a editing incompatibility issue with Pro.

Is there a plan to have the Domains get updated?  It is becoming a major hurdle as our Domains are always out of date now.  With hundreds of fields and 75+ forms I cannot update them manually or even with a script.

Also when will the No spaces allowed issue be tackled?  We have legacy data with spaces in there so now we will have to somehow create massive processing scripts to go through all the select list data and add the spaces back in. 

I know adding spaces will make 123 non XLSForms compliant but I personally couldn't care less about that.  At some point when 123 becomes bigger it will prob have to be left behind anyway.  Not having spaces is something management just plain does not understand, esp since we have always had it without issue.

Thanks

JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Doug,

On editing the attribute table - I'm able to do so in ArcGIS Pro with multiple Survey123-published forms.  Are you getting any specific errors?

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It is when you have a field with a value in it that is not in the Domain.  Even if it is not the field I am editing, if any field that has a non Domain value in it all editing in the Attribute table stops.

Try this as it is the flow we have

Create a select_one list with a few items

Publish the form

Add some additional choices

Publish (so now they are in the form but not in the Domain)

Fill out a form picking one of the new choices

Submit

Open Pro and add the service

Open the Attribute table and try to edit any field

Try to save and it will give an error that a value is outside the domain

Changes are lost, you are stuck

Only way to edit becomes the Attributes popup I mentioned.  It still yells at you in red but lets you at least save.

Beyond this not updating domains means half our data is Doug Browning and the other half is James_Tedrick.

thanks

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Similar post now with search doing it.  @JamesTedrick  maybe your ArcPro settings are different and that is why you do not see the issue?  Thanks

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/issues-with-new-search-appearance-domains-a... 

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Now the Attributes window is blocking us from editing also.  New Pro maybe.

Only way now is to highlight one record and use field calc.

Another vote for keeping the domains in sync.  

Thanks

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @DougBrowning,

Just wanted to let you know with the upcoming 3.16 October Release of Survey123 we have made improvements to the Connect publishing workflow with regards to domains and choice lists. You can check out the latest announcement, documentation and test out the latest 3.16 beta builds via the Early Adopter Community to get early access to these builds and the new Connect publishing workflows. You feedback on these improvements would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Phil.

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I just saw that listed.  Thanks a lot!   A lot of cool improvements coming.