"Fatal error- Cannot create temporary folder. The program will exit"

03-19-2019 07:25 AM
Marie_AimeeBabona_Nshuti
New Contributor

[‎3/‎19/‎2019 3:49 PM] 

I am trying to install ArcGIS Desktop 10.6.1 on a window server 2016,  and the set up is not opening I am getting this error "Fatal error- Cannot create temporary folder. The program will exit"

Thanks for your support

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

This sounds like you can't get to %temp%. It's either a permissions issue, you don't have a %temp% environment variable, or (potentially?) you have a roaming profile. If you right-click and select runas: administrator, do you have luck?

0 Kudos
Marie_AimeeBabona_Nshuti
New Contributor

Thanks William for your answer.

I have tried to run as administrator yet the error message comes out.

I've tried to create the environment Temp or change setting like this: Creating a new Temp environment and change variable setting How to Fix "Unable to execute file in the temporary directory" Error on Windows 7, 8 and 10 - Appual... 

still the error persist. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

In the event anyone else comes across this post, I ran into a similar issue when upgrading to 10.8 from 10.7.1. In my case, the issue was two-fold. I created a folder of the same name the setup file wants to create in C:\Users\Administrator\Documents called "ArcGIS 10.8" Additionally, I found the installation file to be corrupted. Once I deleted the ArcGIS 10.8 folder, restarted my machine, and re-downloaded the installation files I was off to the races! Hope this helps.

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

These guys always seem to have the answer...   

That should just about do it....