ArcMap Ground Distance Calculation Between Multiple Points

01-16-2019 01:06 PM
Labels (1)
deleted-user-B2adxbDoYdZb
New Contributor II

Hello, all. I'm very new (started this week!) to using ArcMap so please excuse me if the question is trivial to some. I'm working on a project that requires calculating the ground distance between a large number of stations across the United states. I have separate data on both the stations' locations and the ground road network in the continental US, and I'm able to import them both in ArcMap as two separate feature classes. My goal is to calculate the shortest distance between each station pair using the road network (i.e. as if someone was realistically driving on the road network from point A to B). My question is, is this something that is possible to do in ArcMap? and if so, what's the best way to go about doing it?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

as in... An overview of the Network Analyst toolbox—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

which is available for arcmap and ArcGIS Pro...

assuming you have the finances to buy it.

Alternatives for python, hence free (ish, assuming a certain level of python proficiency, otherwise add the cash here)

Network analysis in Python — Geo-Python - AutoGIS documentation 

Overview of NetworkX — NetworkX 2.2 documentation 

plus others.

New Contributor II

Thank you for the reply. I do have access to the Network Analyst toolbox. Would you be so kind to point out which tools I should be looking at?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Karl...

The general layout or solution options is here

What is the ArcGIS Network Analyst extension?—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

but there is a lot of work to do prior to getting a solution

but it sounds like you are more interested in the distances than the routes

Tutorial: Generate Origin Destination Cost Matrix—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

unless you want single pairs

Tutorial: Create routes—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

and if you want to model repetitive processes

Create a model for route analysis—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

there are also online services that you may want to use, but at least the tutorials will get your oriented properly since the tools in the toolbox are laid alphabetically rather than being process oriented

In am sure the network analyst team will weight in at some point soon

New Contributor II

Thank you very much, Dan. The resources you listed look very in line with what I'm trying to do. I will be on the lookout for replies from the network analyst team as well.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Get back if you run into issues.. the tutorials will help for a first time run through