Introduce Yourself!

02-02-2018 12:21 PM
MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Welcome to GeoNet!

We are a community that collaborates, learns and shares together. To help you connect with other members, we started this introduction thread. Think of this as your intro to GeoNet networking and a chance to get to know  each other as we begin our GeoNet journey.

Please introduce yourself to the rest of the community by sharing your answers to the questions in the comments section below.

• Where do you work and what is your role? 
  • What GIS success have you had this year and what product did you use? (big or small - no win is out of bounds)
  • What is your expertise (GIS related or not), and how can that help the community?

Bonus Round! Post the coordinates to your favorite place on earth.

note: this post has been archived, and is available in read only mode. To create a new introduction, please visit the new GeoNet Member Introductions‌ space. Thank you!

Michelle Mathias
Manager, Community Experience & Programs
324 Replies
Thiru_P
Occasional Contributor

Where do you work and what is your role?

Hi, I'm Thiru (aka Thirumurugan, if you want a long, Tamil name!), currently working as a GIS Consultant contracting for a local government authority in sunny Queensland, Australia. My current role involves publishing web services and administering ArcSDE to deliver optimal performance to Staff and Public.

What GIS success have you had this year and what product did you use?

My big success so far this year has been migrating our weed mapping staff to use AGOL on iPads so they can finish their mapping workflow digitally. Last year, they have been meddling with paper maps, notepads and calling / traveling to Office to check maps on the Desktop. Many more teams lined up to convert their workflows using AGOL and ArcGIS Desktop 🙂

What is your expertise (GIS related or not), and how can that help the community?

My expertise is Writing to reach masses through blog posts. I guess I would be sharing my tips and tricks with you all (and expect to learn from your posts too!).

Favourite Location
-37.871829, 175.682564

(alright, alright, My favourite place on Earth is the Hobbiton village (Lord of the Rings movie set), New Zealand. Haven't visited but would love to.

MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Thiru,Welcome to the GeoNet Community, we are excited you are here! Let me know if you need any help getting started, or check out the Tools & Resource section of the Resource Hub for quick GeoNet how-to docs.   

ps. I too have it on my bucket list to visit Hobbiton Village, NZ 🙂 

Michelle Mathias
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello from the City of Port Alberni, BC (Can).  I am Roman Frank.  Currently, I am working with our Economic Development on a pilot project using Community Analyst.  I have been hired on a temporary basis to the role of 'Community Analyst'.

I look forward to hearing from - especially those of you with experience, tips and tricks to realize the full potential of this tool.

Thank you.

I am using Community Analyst, and learning that I am also able to use ArcGIS Online as part of this project.  This has only begun, and gathering data for analysis is my primary duty right now.  Recalling my ArcGIS skills would have to be my success so far.

What is your expertise (GIS related or not), and how can that help the community?

I had worked with GIS from 1995-early 2000's for our Treaty department in Ahousaht, BC.  ArcView, ArcGIS, Spatial Analyst, 3D Analyst.  I have had to play catch-up however, considering how long it's been.  I am glad that the basics remain the same.

I also work with our I.T department here in Port Alberni.

Favourite Location

49.2770647,-126.0577292,391 

MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Hi Roman

Welcome to GeoNet and back to the ArcGIS world!

To get you started check out https://community.esri.com/community/gis/web-gis/arcgisonline?sr=search&searchId=847151d6-7d85-4a33-...‌ and https://community.esri.com/community/gis/analysis/community-analyst?sr=search&searchId=d4fe5902-7128...‌ spaces for helpful information or a place to ask a questions.

If you have any questions on how to navigate or use the GeoNet community don't hesitate to reach out to me or post a question in the https://community.esri.com/community/help-and-feedback?sr=search&searchId=72db5240-1415-4e25-b9df-3d...‌.

Cheers,

Michelle (GeoNet Community Manager)

Michelle Mathias
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Michelle,

Thank you very much.

Roman

MatthewElbert1
Occasional Contributor

Hello, my name is Matt Elbert, from the big city of Williston, ND.  Currently, I am working with the City of Williston Public Works & Engineering Department as GIS Coordinator.  I've used Geonet before as a forum for advice, tips/tricks, and problem-solving. 

Thank you.

I was just hired at the end of 2017 to my role as GIS coordinator, and I have hit the ground running using a litany of ArcGIS tools (as well as refreshing AutoCAD skills).  I am looking to dive into the Spatial Analyst tool set a bit deeper in the coming year.

I have been working with GIS tools since my college days, and have a fair bit of experience working with ArcGIS.  I look forward to helping improve the existing set of maps currently offered, and expanding the palette of online tools the city uses. 

Favorite Location

49.9169, 103.5262

MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Matthew

Welcome to GeoNet!  We are excited you are here and look forward to your shared expertise, feedback and questions. If you need any help navigating or using the GeoNet Community, check our the GeoNet Tools & Resources page for detailed guides or reach out to me. 

Cheers, 

Michelle Mathias (GeoNet Community Manager)

Michelle Mathias
SrikanthGokavarapu
New Contributor

Hello GeoNet Community! I am very excited to be a part of this community. 

I am Srikanth, currently a Master's Student at the University of Detroit Mercy. Doing my Master's in Environmental Engineering. I am learning GIS from 15 months both at College and home with the help of Professors, various Communities, and blogs. I started using ArcMap which was the first experience I had as I took a GIS course during my first semester at College. And since then, I found it very useful and a great tool that could be integrated into any Project and no matter what subject you deal with!

I am currently doing my Thesis on a Superfund NPL site in Indiana. I am integrating GIS to my thesis to represent various contaminant plumes, the location of monitoring wells and to bring effect to the materialized content that is normally found anywhere. 

There is no singular topic to say I am an expert in but I like to learn various subjects no matter what my core field is. Everything could be used in every other subject or field. we just need to find how it fits or moreover how we could make use of the topic to introduce into another field ourselves. 

I actually am an expert in Nanotechnology and would like to see how GIS could be used at Nanoscale. Interesting? I think it is and would like any suggestions to start with. 

MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Srikanth BradfordEric

Welcome to GeoNet! We are excited you are all here! If you haven't already visited our GeoNet Resource Hub, I encourage you to check it out. There is a welcome video and also really useful tools to get you started.

Srikanth, you may be interested in an upcoming MOOC, learn more here: The Location Advantage MOOC‌ , later this month we will be hosting an AMA (Ask Me Anything) on this particular topic, should be fun!

Bradford,  I love Quebec especially Montreal, it is one of my favorite cities! What an interesting role working with the Mohawk Council of Kahnawake! You might want to check out the following spaces: https://community.esri.com/community/gis/applications/arcgis-pro?sr=search&searchId=b54f0f02-225e-41... and https://community.esri.com/community/gis/imagery-and-remote-sensing?sr=search&searchId=35e5d965-69d6...‌. 

Eric, Really glad to hear the work that PS is doing for you is providing value and helping you determine the best product(s)! Your experience with local government should be a great value add to our community! If you haven't already, check out the https://community.esri.com/community/gis/web-gis/arcgisonline?sr=search&searchId=f252ae05-63c7-4aac-...‌ space to see how others are using our cloud based solutions. 

Welcome and don't hesitate to reach out to me if you have any community related questions or need advice on where to get started or find something! 

Cheers,

Michelle GeoNet Community Manager) 

Michelle Mathias