Address search not working in Explorer for ArcGIS

10-12-2017 05:56 AM
RagnhildTveit
New Contributor II

When using Explorer I am only able to search by layer, not by address. The problem is I need to be able to search for both street names and house numbers. This is not an issue in the web map, only when opening the map in Explorer. I have enabled search by layer and address in the web map settings.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlexanderNohe1
Occasional Contributor III

ragtveit‌,

What is the top locator listed in your ArcGIS Online organization settings? (That is the one we use in app)

Is this a valid address for that locator?

Is the locator accessible off network?

I look forward to your response!

RagnhildTveit
New Contributor II

Thank you for the fast respons!

I'm not an admin so I can't view the settings for my organization. We have a locator that contains all the addresses in our area. When searching in the web app I can choose this locator in the drop-down menu by the search bar. The addresses I've tried searching for in Explorer are valid for this locator.

In the drop-down menu the Esri World Geocoder is listed above the locator that I mentioned. The addresses  I've tried are not valid with the Esri locator. Can I assume that the Esri World Geocoder is set as top locator for the organization, and that's what causing this problem? I have yet to try the app offline.

0 Kudos
AlexanderNohe1

The Esri World Geocoder being the top locator is my assumption as well based on what you described.  Can you try entering 380 New York Street into the search bar and seeing if anything is returned?  This might help narrow down if this is using the World Locator or if there is a greater problem at hand here.

RagnhildTveit
New Contributor II

Searching for 380 New York Street doesn't return anything. I also tried a couple of other addresses outside Norway (where I'm located) and they are not valid. The locator I talked about earlier only holds Norwegian addresses.

0 Kudos
AlexanderNohe1

Interesting.

Are you able to hook up your phone to a proxy and see the requests that are being sent?

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey Ragnhild Tveit‌,

Any luck with the geocoder search? If the Esri World Geocoder is set up as the top geocoding service (first listed under All in the Map Viewer dropdown), "380 New York Street" should return a result. Are you able to temporarily share access to the Web Map so I can debug further? If not, seeing the Web Map's JSON might also provide some clues. Feel free to reach out via email jwhitney@esri.com and we can discuss further.

Joel

MJBiazar
Esri Contributor

It is important to notice the difference between Map Viewer and Explorer in using geocoders. While Map Viewer can use all available geocoders in your organization (where the order of locators in the drop-down reflects their order in Utility Services list) and will give you the option to choose which locator you want to use to search for an address, Explorer uses either World Geocoder (when not signed in) or the first locator on the organization's locators list (when signed in). 

If your web map that is using a custom locator in ArcGIS Online is accessed in Explorer by a public user who is not logged in, they cannot access the custom geocoder through your organization, and therefore, the app uses ArcGIS World Geocoder by default and there is no way to impose using a custom geocoder.. The behavior is different for users who sign in to the org. 

For users who sign in and access the map, Explorer uses the locator that is at the top of the list in organization's Utility Services settings.

Putting the custom geocoder at the top of this list, and having users sign in to their accounts (in the same organization) is the only way to use a custom geocoder in Explorer.

In case you are using a field from a feature layer on the map as the search source, although you won't see suggestions from the feature layer in Explorer (unlike the Map Viewer) the locations from the layer are actually returned in the results regardless even if you are not signed in or signed in to a different organization.

All the best,

MJ

0 Kudos