how to refresh file paths in Pro

04-06-2017 08:17 AM
RichardHughes2
Occasional Contributor III

In several cases when I am navigating the file directory in Pro, either through the Project pane or when creating a new project for example, the file paths are not refreshed when changes are made in File Explorer.  What is the design limitation that causes this in Pro?  I have to close out of the program just to refresh the file paths.  Are these annoying things going to be ironed out or is this a design implementation of Pro?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

sometimes you have to right-click to get a refresh link as in this example or otherwise look for little circling arrows in dialogs which is a shortcut to refresh.  Here is one for the project window

0 Kudos
StephenRuhl1
New Contributor II

Refresh often doesn't work.  The only option then, is to restart ArcGIS Pro like the OP states. (I'm on 1.4.1 as of this post)

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

same here, perhaps it is a workflow difference.  Like ... Create Folder...not being within the project window but as a separate tool.  Of course, you can customize the application which may be a bit overkill.

0 Kudos
MervynLotter

There is a refresh option when adding data. The tool is the circle-like icon on upper right of the Add Data window. See the below screencapture with arrow on right. 

However I did notice that refresh option does not work if you choose to browse to a folder using the default project folders when browsing (I put a X here in the below image).You have experienced the same thing it seems. Best to browse using "Computer" browse option below. This does refresh the folders and updates it to show latest files and folders. No need to restart Pro this way.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Mervyn that is the ... little circling arrows in dialogs  ... I was talking about... and I create folder using the tool in my last post if I am making them in a project.

MervynLotter

Thanks Dan. Yes, same approach it seems. I had trouble after creating folders using File Explorer and then these not showing up after trying to refresh. Avoiding browsing via default project folder solved this. 

0 Kudos