Customization of ArcGIS online

12-08-2015 06:24 AM
samikhanal
New Contributor

Hello everyone, I am new to the ArcGIS online, and here are few things I am trying to achieve.

• I want to publish the metadata of the data but not the data. Can I do that? If so, how would I be able to do this?
  • My role in the organization is publisher. How would I be able to download the data published as feature/image layer by the administrator of the organization?
  • Has someone tried to locate the data by zooming in the map? Just to clarify a bit, I want to know how many data are associated with a given region. I would like to be able to simply click on the region, and be able to see the data related to that site? Can this be customized in the ArcGIS online?

I look forward to hearing your opinion/thoughts/suggestions. Thank you.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
KyleBalke__GISP
Occasional Contributor III

Sami,

I believe metadata has to be associated with an item, however you can add many other types of data to ArcGIS Online. You have not specified the ultimate goal regarding the metadata so it is difficult to suggest a good option.

Metadata—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

What can you add to ArcGIS Online?—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

As far as you second question, you can only download (or export) data published by the Admin of the Organization only if they allow that option.  If the Admin has in fact allowed others to export data you will see an Export button on the item details page.  However this only applies to a feature layer, you cannot export an image service.  Other extraction options are listed in the link below.

Extract Data—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

Regarding your third question there is an option to view points or footprints of data hosted in ArcGIS Online via the My Organization section however I believe this is reserved for Administrators only.

samikhanal
New Contributor

Hi Kyle,

Thank you for your response/suggestions. Regarding metadata, here is my scenario: I have multiple groups in the organization.I want to limit the access to the data by group type. I want one group to view and download the data, while for other groups I want to share only the metadata (not the data). Does this make sense to you?

Regarding exporting of image service - Do you mean that ArcGIS online does not offer any options to allow users to download the image data? This is one of the most critical properties in my scenario.

0 Kudos