Cannot create or delete Network Dataset

09-12-2014 04:01 PM
AmeliaWillits-Smith
New Contributor

I am trying to create a new network dataset, and I get the error "Could not create network dataset" with no further explanation. I have our steps for this documented, and I am using the exact same settings as I was before. There is essentially no processing time between when I click "Finish" and when the message comes up. I tried deleting the old network dataset (from ArcCatalog, with the intention of starting fresh), and got a different error "Failed to delete selected object(s)." Can anyone help me understand what's wrong? The text of the "could not create network dataset" error hardly gives any hits on Google, and there's no error number or code, so I'm stumped.

I'm using Desktop version 10.2.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Did you try a reboot inbetween?  Try a different folder to create the network dataset in as a last attempt

AmeliaWillits-Smith
New Contributor

Thanks to both of you! Using a new folder worked. Are there some best practices to try to prevent this kind of corruption in the future?

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Sometimes geodatabases get corrupted and won't let you create a network dataset.  Try creating a new geodatabase with a new feature dataset in it and trying again from the beginning.

0 Kudos