COGO from table?

09-18-2012 01:52 PM
AnthonyAtkins
New Contributor II
I just finished creating a parcel from a set of COGO descriptions.  In order to do it, without going crazy, I set up an excel spreadsheet to calculate the direction. So I entered all of my COGO descriptions into my excel spreadsheet to get a nice list of directions and distances.  This got me to wonder, has anyone created a tool that would allow you to submit a numbered table of direction/distance values via a table that would then create the feature for you?

I have an idea of how a tool like this might work and I've thought about about creating one, but wanted to check to see if anyone else has had a need for one or if one has already been created.

Thanks!

Anthony
0 Kudos
3 Replies
ShaunLam
New Contributor III
Bearing distance to line tool ?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: aatkins

Not quite.  That tool requires a point for the start of each line. Typically, when given COGO descriptions, you're only given an initial starting coordinate and only the bearing and distance for the rest. 

I guess if I dusted off my Trig/calc books I could set up my Excel spreadsheet to figure out the starting point of each segment based off the bering and distance of the previous segment. As of right now though, that's more work than I'm willing to put into it. 
Thanks for your help.

Anthony

Bearing distance to line tool ?
0 Kudos
JoelCalhoun
New Contributor III
This functionality is built into ArcMap by loading Traverse Files into the Traverse Tool.

These files are typically created when you want to save out your traverse but can also be created manually, here are the help documents:

Loading Traverse Files: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Loading_a_traverse/01m70000006p000000/

Traverse File Format: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//01m70000002q000000

One thing to note is that the help indciates this feature is only available for Standard and Advanced license levels.

I hope this helps,

Joel
0 Kudos