Select to view content in your preferred language

wastewater utility

12-12-2013 05:08 PM
ceha
by
New Contributor
Hello everyone..
I'm trying to create a web-based GIS wastewater utility application integrated with with some maintenance system in the same interface so that for example any problem in the wastewater utility network can be located and a work order will be created for this problem. How can I start creating such an application and what tools do I need?
thanks
0 Kudos
3 Replies
TimHayes
Regular Contributor
Your statement sounds rather vague. First step is to answer the following question:

What CMMS (Computerized Maintenance Management System) or AM (Asset Management) Software are you using? This is important because this will define how you integrate your GIS with work order management.

I assume your work orders are tracked in a CMMS/AM application?

All CMMS/AM software have GIS modules that work real well with ArcGIS. In addition, they usually have a mobile app that works with ArcGIS too.
0 Kudos
ceha
by
New Contributor
Your statement sounds rather vague. First step is to answer the following question:

What CMMS (Computerized Maintenance Management System) or AM (Asset Management) Software are you using? This is important because this will define how you integrate your GIS with work order management.

I assume your work orders are tracked in a CMMS/AM application?

All CMMS/AM software have GIS modules that work real well with ArcGIS. In addition, they usually have a mobile app that works with ArcGIS too.

Thanks for your reply
I'm not using any CMMS or AM software and I haven't decided yet which one I should choose. I'm only doing this for educational and testing purpose. So Which CMMS or AM software do you recommend to choose in my case study? Can these software be found easily? Which one of them is easy to work with?
0 Kudos
TimHayes
Regular Contributor
There are many Asset Management Software out there (AM and CMMS are the same). The best for GIS-centricity is CityWorks. There is also InforEAM and Maximo that work with ArcGIS as well.

Typically, for GIS integration into AM software, the GIS data resides in, for example, a SQL Server Database with ArcSDE and ArcGIS for Server, and ArcGIS for Desktop Intermediate (ArcEditor is what you will need to manage this type of database). Each AM software has their own internal GIS Map Viewer.

Have you considered focusing your research on the effectiveness of AM and ArcGIS Integration? Integrating AM and GIS is done by a lot of utilities, but how effective it is done and how well it is sustained over the long term are the most complex issues and are where the problems arise. I see a lot of thesis or dissertation material on this topic.
0 Kudos