Utility Network without Portal

01-25-2019 06:42 AM
RobbHodges
Occasional Contributor III

Will it ever be possible to use the utility network without installing and maintaining Portal? Initially, the idea was to bring the geometric network to Pro...that didn't work, so the utility network was created. Then I was told that it would be released to Portal first, with the plan of being available via AGOL at a later date. Now, I'm hearing that it will never be fully integrated with AGOL. Is that true?

If so, does that mean that in order to have that network connectivity that a geometric network allows, all utilities will have to install and maintain Portal? What does that do to small utilities that don't have the infrastructure for that? I really wouldn't mind using Pro more often, but it seems like for those of us in the utility field, outside of using portal, we've kind of been left behind. At some point, arcmap will be a thing of the past. That day worries me quite a bit.

11 Replies
ThomasHolz
New Contributor II

Paul,

Saying "you can follow most of the steps" isn't helpful. You have a few single-user license folks out here that would appreciate knowing what the specific steps are without having to guess at the process. It's already a steep learning curve without having to guess at the process. Thanks.

AdelaideZumwalt1
Occasional Contributor II

I'm copying my question from a year ago - Has there been an update to this question from Esri? We are also a small utility and use ArcGIS Enterprise. The only reason we would implement Portal is the utility network, but maintaining a Portal is daunting due to our limited resources. Is the utility network without Portal in Esri's plan?  We use a versioned multi-user database, so the single user model will not work for us.

0 Kudos