Select to view content in your preferred language

Snapping disconnected Sanitary Laterals to Sanitary Mains

01-18-2017 07:05 AM
Abraham_Downer
New Contributor

I have a geometric network that contains sanitary laterals connected to sanitary mains. The ends of some laterals (downstream) are not snapped to the mains. None of the beginnings of the laterals (upstream) are snapped to anything within the geometric network. Ideally the laterals begin at the edge of the parcel data (however this is spotty at best) and then connect to the sanitary main with flow direction shown towards the main.

I am trying to find a solution for snapping all unconnected laterals to the closest sanitary main and then verifying the results.

So far what I have come up with is:

1. Delete the geometric network,
  2. Run the Snap tool with a reasonable snap tolerance,
  3. Create a topology with the rule “cannot have dangles” and use the Error Inspector on the topology toolbar to manually snap those that are outside the tolerance for the Snap tool,
  4. Rebuild the Geometric Network.

I am having some difficulty with this workflow so I am looking for suggestions or tips to improve it.

As the beginning (upstream) end of the lateral is not snapped to anything within the network, it means that every lateral will break the dangle topology rule. This is a very large data set so when I validate the topology I receive an error id: 220 (essentially there are too many errors).

I have tried validating smaller areas and had luck. However, I still have to mark each beginning as an exception to the topology.

I have attached a capture of what the laterals issue tends to look like. 

Not sure If I'm approaching this from a bad direction but any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Running ArcGIS 10.2.2.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
SusanOttersen
New Contributor

Abraham,

I am in your exact situation at this moment. Did you ever hear from anyone or find a solution? I have been trying a variety of rules and GN or Topology builds, but have not come up with a clean solution. 

Would love to hear from folks on their solution to this problem.

Thank you.

0 Kudos