ESRI solutions - Storm Water, getting started

02-10-2020 07:24 AM
johncoon
New Contributor

New to ESRI and solutions - Storm Water.

New to most things GIS, except import export shape files. Civil Cad person trying to use ESRI Solutions for small storm water deployment web maps.

I'd like to start off simple by trying to creating a simple map of existing storm water structures (zipped shape file from arcMap)

I'm having issues understanding if I am doing something wrong with my data. I used the ARC Pro create new proj., then I used the share > arc solution deploy, and selected a small storm water deploy to create a folder in my Online account. That created a folder in my online account .done.

Q. Do I create  a layer for my existing shape file data in arc pro to use in the SW solutions manhole layer or do I open the new web maps and insert the shape file data there? if I insert from a file using that method, how do I target the imported shape file to the correct layer under the SW solutions.   If I use the SW viewer web map, How do you direct the data from the file to be placed on the manhole web map layer? I don't see how I place that data on the correct manhole layer unless I edit and add those location one at a time to a selected layer.

I could not locate anything that walks you thru the complete process of creating an online map, adding data. how the forms are used or connect to the SW solitons. I think they assume the 4 or 5 pages in the help sections define the entire process. For me, I'm completely lost on how to connect all this up, or even get it to a point I can view any of the data using this solution tools. I thought I could use solution package on a project where we plan to just collect the location of manholes in the field. I might have to put that on hold If I can't get this working.

Any help, direction you can provide is welcome.

Thank you 

John

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

If you have existing manholes in a shapefile and want to load them to the stormwater solutions, you will need to

• Open ArcGIS Pro

• Add the Feature Service to ArcGIS Pro

• Use the Append GP tool to load your manholes to the Manhole layer in the Feature Service

johncoon
New Contributor

Thank you Michael, I’ll give it a try.

Is the feature service, the storm water deployment?

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

The result of deploying Mapping for Small Stormwater, will create a feature service in your account.

0 Kudos
johncoon
New Contributor

Thanks you, I'll try it now.

0 Kudos
johncoon
New Contributor

What is the GP tool?

I swear I could create the web map, create an app and assign a survey 123 form to this in an hour, but I want to use the features installed with this solutions package and the connected applications. Man, this is harder than learning cad 30 years ago without a manuals. 

I opened the storm water network editor web map that has the manhole layer created from the deployment, I added a zipped shapefile that has the existing manhole locations with some attribute data, I then tried to use the analysis tab tool that has a merge layer tool, but I get an error with no details.  is this the correct procedure? to append a layer?

The goal of using this system was to, tracking our filed crew as they located the manholes in the filed, I wanted to assign a flag for each manholes collected so we know if we miss any. The filed guys put a paint mark next to each structure they open, but that doesn't tell them if they missed one. I wanted to try the mobile apps for that. 

Do you know if they have any books or how to pdf's available for purchase on storm water solutions. I couldn't find any. I have training on this is a few months. I guess I thought I could get a few things connected before the class to help me understand how the app works, and were the data is being saved. I also thought it might hep me from getting too lost during the training. that does appear to be happening at this rate.

Looks like I'm going to do this the old way for this project until I can get a better handle on the solutions tool, and where all the data is being saved and how to update it. 

Thanks for your help. I'll continue to search the group for answers. 

John

0 Kudos