Select to view content in your preferred language

unable to reset BatchPoint

Jump to solution
12-27-2013 06:46 AM
Labels (1)
JingTao
New Contributor
Sorry my previous message below needs some clarification: basically how can I create a second batchpoint layer that has nothing to do with the existing one and has a different name?
I am using ArcHydro 2.0 and trying to reset the tag Batchpoint. I tried every option listed in the previous version of guidance/tutorial document - removing the existing Batchpoint layer from the Table of Contents, selecting Watershed Processing/Data Management/set BatchPoint to Null, or selecting ApUtilities/XML Manager/HydroConfig/TemplateView/.... None of these options seems to work. The moment I click on the button for batchpoint generation and click anywhere on the map, the existing layer BatchPoint instantly shows up in the Table of Contents and does not give me a chance to creat a new Batchpoint feature class. Any suggestion? Thanks in advance!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarkBoucher
Regular Contributor II
My experience with Arc Hydro is that it uses default names as much as it can. For example, the "agreestream" layer or "rawdem" are defaults. If they exist in the mxd, they will be "grabbed" when a Arc Hydro process is started.

You can use another layer for the BatchPoints. If, however, you are trying to use the Batch Point Generation tool, it will create the layer with the name "BatchPoint" since that is the default name.  One way around this is to copy the BatchPoint layer to another layer. This will have all the right fields for Arc Hydro to use. Then, delete the BatchPoints layer and start again. You will then have two layers with batch points, but different names. You should be able to use either one in the delineation processes.

You can add points to these without having to use the Batch Point Generation tool. You just have to populate the fields manually, which is easy.

I have often saved the BatchPoint layer from the geodatabase to a normal feature class so that I can start my Arc Hydro process over by deleting the geodatabase and raster folder altogether. It gives me a fresh start on an Arc Hydro project w/out loosing the work I went through in setting the batch points. After I create a "dummy" batch point using the Batch Point Generation tool, I just delete that point and copy the saved points to the new BatchPoint layer.

HEC-GeoHMS has a tool for importing batch points. It can be used without starting a GeoHMS project. It has come in handy at times.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MarkBoucher
Regular Contributor II
The BatchDone field in the BatchPoint layer can be calculated to zero using the Field Calculator. This "resets" them so you can use the same points again in the Batch delineation functions. I use this when I want to move the points around and redo the delineation.
0 Kudos
JingTao
New Contributor
Mark, thanks for your help! I have edited my question.
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
Regular Contributor II
My experience with Arc Hydro is that it uses default names as much as it can. For example, the "agreestream" layer or "rawdem" are defaults. If they exist in the mxd, they will be "grabbed" when a Arc Hydro process is started.

You can use another layer for the BatchPoints. If, however, you are trying to use the Batch Point Generation tool, it will create the layer with the name "BatchPoint" since that is the default name.  One way around this is to copy the BatchPoint layer to another layer. This will have all the right fields for Arc Hydro to use. Then, delete the BatchPoints layer and start again. You will then have two layers with batch points, but different names. You should be able to use either one in the delineation processes.

You can add points to these without having to use the Batch Point Generation tool. You just have to populate the fields manually, which is easy.

I have often saved the BatchPoint layer from the geodatabase to a normal feature class so that I can start my Arc Hydro process over by deleting the geodatabase and raster folder altogether. It gives me a fresh start on an Arc Hydro project w/out loosing the work I went through in setting the batch points. After I create a "dummy" batch point using the Batch Point Generation tool, I just delete that point and copy the saved points to the new BatchPoint layer.

HEC-GeoHMS has a tool for importing batch points. It can be used without starting a GeoHMS project. It has come in handy at times.

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
JingTao
New Contributor
It works! Thank you for the help!
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
Regular Contributor II

Glad to help. You can find other Arc Hydro helps via the Arc Hydro Problem Solvers thread at https://community.esri.com/message/45017#45017‌.

0 Kudos