Solving Arc Hydro Problems by deleting TMP Files

04-27-2011 01:01 PM
Labels (1)
MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III
I've seen several threads about Arc Hydro not working as expected. On a few of them I've responded the same way.

I'm in the middle of an Arc Hydro project and I am finding functions not working as expected just like a I see on a lot of these posts. My solution is as follows (it works almost every time):

Arc Hydro may be trying to create temp file that already exists.
In my Arc Hydro training at ESRI I was told that, when things start going "funny":

1. close ArcMap, go to your temp directory - In Windows 7, mine is at C:\Users\mboucher\AppData\Local\Temp

2. delete everything you can. 

You can tell if this is where the ESRI program puts temp files, by:

1. open the folder, sorting by date (new to old), and starting ArcMap.

2. If this is the right directory, you will see temp files being created.
There are some files that you can't delete while other programs are running, so you may have to close all programs to delete all the files. There was usually one or two that I cannot delete. I assumed it was related to Explorer. You can also delete files using Arc Catalog. Using this you can see the temp rasters, etc.

When this does not work. I close Arc Desktop and use Arc Catalog to delete shape files and rasters that I'm needing to create. I do this to ensure that there are no write protection errors causing problems.

I'm using Arc Hydro in Arc Desktop 10 with Windows 7.

Cheers.

(P.S. - ESRI, if you're listening, please fund those guys working on Arc Hydro so they can build in some safeguards against these kinds of problems! We've got better things to do than rant at our computers over these things! Thank you!)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
MarkBoucher
I just found the function in Arc Hydro (ArcGIS v10) for clearing the temp files. It is under ApUtilities>Additional Utilities>Clean User's Temp Folder.

I think the only issue with using this is if you have a function that you recently ran that "might" be using a file in the temp folder, you might have to redo something.
0 Kudos
israello
New Contributor
In my case appears a message that says:

Failed to create intermediate ESRI XML file Oject reference not set to an instance of an object

If anybody can helpme please...
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
I've collected an posted several Arc Hydro problem solvers on a thread. See link below my signature.
0 Kudos
LisaLauver
New Contributor
MBoucher, you are an angel for posting all the helpful tips here!     I have followed your Problem Solving List and done everything you suggest, many times over.  I have started more fresh new MXDs with new folder sets than I can count.  This is my third day working on this project and  I still cannot get Geo-HMS terrain preprocessing to work  and I don't know what else to do.  It will not Build Walls or, if I skip building walls and just go through the rest of the process, it will not delineate the Catchment Grid.  Both are grid building errors, I believe.  This the error I get when trying to Build Walls:

[INDENT]System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80041098): ERROR 010236: Error in building VAT.
ERROR 010067: Error in executing grid expression.
   at ESRI.ArcGIS.GeoAnalyst.RasterConversionOpClass.ToRasterDataset(IGeoDataset dataset, String rasterFormat, IWorkspace pWorkspace, String name)
   at ESRI.APWR.ApHydro.ArcHydroOp.BuildWalls(ApLayers apLayers, Double innerWallHeight, Double wallBuffer, Double breachLineBuffer, ITrackCancel& trackcancel, IGPMessages& messages, String& exMessage)
Failed to execute (BuildWalls).
Failed at Wed Oct 09 12:25:17 2013 (Elapsed Time: 1.00 seconds)[/INDENT]

What do you do when it just won't work?   Give up and just do everything by hand?  I am out of ideas.   Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Lisa
0 Kudos
LisaLauver
New Contributor

What do you do when it just won't work?   Give up and just do everything by hand?  I am out of ideas.   Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Lisa

Well, here's what I did after posting the message.   I kept trying and it occurred to me to try recreating the shapefiles I was using to define the basin boundaries and flow paths.   And VOILA!    IT WORKED!!    
So, one more thing to try when you are having problems with terrain processing.

Lisa
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
... the shapefiles I was using to define the basin boundaries and flow paths. ... Lisa

Lisa,
What kind of shape files are you using to define the basin boundaries and flow paths?

I always start with rawdem (raster) and agreestream (polyline) file. I only use the innerwalls, and outerwalls if needed. Are you using another function that creates watersheds based on polygons? There appears to be one (Batch watershed delineation for polygons), but I've never used it and also I believe it is used after all the Terrain Preprocessing.
0 Kudos
LisaLauver
New Contributor
Lisa,
What kind of shape files are you using to define the basin boundaries and flow paths?

Originally I had polygons for both the inner and outer walls, but then I revised the inner walls to use lines.  And the flow paths are lines.  I am using the inner walls to define roadways in the basin.  If I don't, the catchments are defined incorrectly (crossing the roadways where they shouldn't). 

thanks,
Lisa
0 Kudos
asimwardak
New Contributor

Dear Sir;

I did the cleanup of Temp folder and also transferred all folders to C drive , but still i have this error , could you please help me in this regard.

with regards
while delineate the floodplain i face this error, before that all process are done normal.

Screen Shot 2014-09-22 at 10.48.37 AM.JPG

0 Kudos