Regular Arc Hydro Problems

3315
7
12-01-2011 10:26 AM
Labels (1)
MarkBoucher
Regular Contributor II
I am wondering if anyone else has regular problems with Arc Hydro. I've taken two courses from ESRI on Arc Hydro, am a experienced GIS user, have v10 and have been using Arc Hydro for several years. I don't work with it constantly, but I've used it enough that there is almost no "learning curve" when I do get to using it again.

However. It seems that using the extension never (ever) works smoothly. For example, yesterday I started a new project, and got through just about everything with very few problems. Then this AM I started working on it again, had to backtrack and recondition the DEM again using a refined agreestream layer. I tried to use  model builder to do some of the processing but it hung up on flow accumulation though I could do it using the menu bar.

Frustrated with that, I deleted all the layers and started over with the same mxd, rawdem and agreestream layers. I got all the way through point delineation just fine. Then I tried to run the batch subwatershed delineation and I got the dreaded "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." error. Very frustrating! I've changed not settings or defaults.

If you've had similar frustrations and have finally come to some solution to the madness, I'd love to hear from you.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
ZhengwenLiu
New Contributor
Hi,

I have some problem with the function: Catchment Polygon Processing.
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
Regular Contributor II
I did find a solution to another problem. It had to do with the processing extent. I'm not sure if this would solve the Catchment Polygon Processing problem.

I've posted the answer to the processing extent issue here:http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/41988-Resetting-Raster-calculation-limits?p=155882#post155882
0 Kudos
AndrewMaracini
New Contributor
New to ArcHydro. I have been able to successfully start the Terrain pre processing and now am encountering an error with DEM reconditioning. After I run the process successfully it creates an "AgreeDEM" that is incomplete. It only covered about 20 percent of my extents. I tried running again with exact same parameters and got this error message "External component has thrown an exception" Any thoughts?

LevelDEM specs:
My columns and rows are: 12664, 12924
Cellsize: 10, 10
Type: continuous
Pixel: floating pt
pixel depth: 32bit
size: 625MB
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
Regular Contributor II
Did you look at this thread? http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/41988-Resetting-Raster-calculation-limits?p=142809#poststop

It seems like your processing extent needs to be reset.
0 Kudos
AndrewMaracini
New Contributor
Did you look at this thread? http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/41988-Resetting-Raster-calculation-limits?p=142809#poststop

It seems like your processing extent needs to be reset.


thanks Mark, I tried that but it actually resulted in a smaller raster. The weird part is that when I look at the Raster properties of the AgreeDEM the columns and Rows and extents,  are identical to my LevelDEM Raster. I've tried changing display properties but that did nothing either. I just have a thin strip of data displaying. Any ideas??

I'm thinking there is an issue with Hard Disk space. After I ran that process I basically ran out of space I went from 5GB free to 19MB. Where is ArcHydro writing temp data to? I have checked the Ap Utility for making sure where I'm writing my Raster and Vectors to, but it seems to be gobbling up space on my C drive and I don't know where it's clogging up my system. The good news is that I'm getting a new PC later this week so maybe I'll actually be able to run this process...;)
0 Kudos
jyfan
by
New Contributor
Hi,Mark

I also have a problem similar to yours and have not find the resolution. If I resolve the problem, I will tell you soon.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27257[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
Regular Contributor II
happyfjy,

I've learned a bit since posting my original frustrations. You can find a link below my signature where I've been posting solutions for a while. 

My first gut reaction to your error is that possibly your target locations need to be reset or your file path and file name are too long. Make me wish I had kept a log of the error messages and solutions I found.
0 Kudos