Select to view content in your preferred language

Implementing National Hydrography Dataset (NHD) for discovering bodies of water

12-27-2021 07:27 AM
AnglrTech
New Contributor

Hello Community! My name is Scott and I'm excited to be part of this community! At ANGLR we center our mobile app around the ability to record a fishing trip and gain insights from it. We'd like to offer our users the ability to discover new bodies of water through NHD data and are looking for guidance on implementation. We just want to start with querying the data, centering a map on a lake and then building out our own body of water page for each lake using data from our users. Thanks in advance for pointing me to any resources for getting started. Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hello and welcome! Sounds like a neat project!

If you're working with NHD data, I'd start with the NHD REST endpoint: https://hydro.nationalmap.gov/arcgis/rest/services/nhd/MapServer

You can use input locations to query the layers in the service and return information about them.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You could also check out the National Hydrography Dataset Plus Version 2.1 - ArcGIS Living Atlas

You could add it in a Web Map (ArcGIS Online), and use appropriate Filter/query and other operations.

Note: It is a Subscriber Content. You need an ArcGIS Online Organizational Account to access the content.

In case you don't have an organizational account, and want test the data/ ArcGIS Online, you could apply for a 21 Days ArcGIS Trial.

More Reading Resources: Get started with ArcGIS Living Atlas of the World | Learn ArcGIS

Think Location
0 Kudos