HEC GeoRAS 10 issues with ArcMap 10??

02-10-2012 07:18 AM
Labels (1)
JimHorton
New Contributor
We are running ArcGIS 10 SP2 with HEC GeoRAS and GeoHMS 10 and experiencing frequent crashes. Other PCs without GeoRas do not seem to be having the same issues. Is anyone else having problems?
Tags (2)
17 Replies
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor
Peter,

The installation log looked fine, just the usual MSI installer confusion over ROOTDRIVE and TARGETDIR pointing to another drive on the system H:\--non issues for the install, and the HECGeoHMS looks to have fully installed.

Did you afterword go ahead and back out the ArcHydro Tools 2.1.0.30 and install the 2.1.0.98 build?

Also, regards the ArcToolbox Window crash when docking in ArcCatalog, does it otherwise seem to behave when the Arc Toolbox window is allowed to float without docking? If it works, suggest you don't dock it.

There have been past problems with objects of the Desktop 10.0 GUI associated with docking and undocking actions, most were supposedly taken care of at SP2. But suppose they could have resurfaced at SP5.

Stuart
0 Kudos
PeterWilson
Occasional Contributor III
Hi Stuart

I uninstalled ArcHydro 2.1.0.30 and installed 2.1.0.98 successfully. Even if you dont dock ArcToolbox it still forces ArcCatalog to close and won't open thereafter unless I delete the Normal.gxt or remove HEC-GeoRAS. I've decided to work from ArcMap for now in order to complete my model for the ESRI UC. I'll see if Dean has some time after the Hydro Meet to have a look at why its not behaving. Thanks for your assistance, are you attending the UC this year? I did like to meet and exchange ideas.

Peter,

The installation log looked fine, just the usual MSI installer confusion over ROOTDRIVE and TARGETDIR pointing to another drive on the system H:\--non issues for the install, and the HECGeoHMS looks to have fully installed.

Did you afterword go ahead and back out the ArcHydro Tools 2.1.0.30 and install the 2.1.0.98 build?

Also, regards the ArcToolbox Window crash when docking in ArcCatalog, does it otherwise seem to behave when the Arc Toolbox window is allowed to float without docking? If it works, suggest you don't dock it.

There have been past problems with objects of the Desktop 10.0 GUI associated with docking and undocking actions, most were supposedly taken care of at SP2. But suppose they could have resurfaced at SP5.

Stuart

Regards
0 Kudos
TyrelLloyd
New Contributor
Peter, 

Not certain your issue will be the same as OP is having with HEC GeoRAS where language settings and out of cache conditions seem to be the problems. That said, I believe yours and others issues with the two HEC pacakges would be helped by the application of ArcGIS Desktopp 10.0 SP5 and shifting to current Desktop 10.0 build of ArcHydro Tools, i.e. 2.1.0.98 

For HECGeoHMS issues, my understanding is that the USACE HEC asks Esri to limit the ArcHydro version to simplify their configuration management (and internal user support) of the HECGeoHMS package. If you choose to install HECGeoHMS, build 10.0.0.85, you are limited by its Microsoft installer packaging to install with the bundled version of ArcHydro, i.e. 2.1.0.30 

As you found, if you already have an ArcHydro build installed, the HECGeoHMS installer will prompt you to uninstall it from the Add/Remove programs panel and then abort. 

So, run the Add/Remove programs GUI (appwiz.cpl) and uninstall the "Arc Hydro Tools", or alternatively open a command window "Run as Administrator" and enter  
msiexec.exe /x {777B898F-BB2C-4A7E-8FD9-A7E251C14E9D}

This is one of the few instances that I would not aggressively clean-up the registry since you will be leaving ArcGIS Desktop 10.0 in place and will be reinstalling the version of ArcHydro Tools bundled with HECGeoHMS. If you want to be a bit more thorough about a full removal, you could download the ApRegWork utility from the ftp site and run ESRI.APWR.ApRegWork.exe and select only the "ARCHYDRO" search text. 

With ArcGIS Desktop 10.0 intact, go ahead and run the HECGeoHMS installer. I prefer to run from a command window to be able to fully log the installation and to run the installation as Administrator, but you could simply select the installer and deal with UAC. The installer will now detect that no ArcHydro Tools are present and launch the installer for build 2.1.0.30, and then the HECGeoHMS installer, build 10.0.0.85--allow them to complete. 

At this point I'd launch ArcMap and add both the "Arc Hydro Tools" toolbar and the "HEC-GeoHMS" to be sure they are functional then close them both, and close ArcMap. 

Next use Add/Remove programs (appwiz.cpl) and uninstall the 2.1.0.30 version of "Arc Hydro Tools" as before. 

Then download the current build of Arc Hydro Tools for Desktop 10.0, build 2.1.0.98 (2012-07-10) from the FTP site. Install that from command prompt "Run as Administrator" with  
msiexec.exe /i ArcHydroTools.msi /L*v archydrotoolsInstall.log

Following the installation, review the log looking for any weirdness with installer variables--TARGETDIR, ROOTDIR, PYTHONHOME. And, if your Python26 installation was done outside of ArcGIS, you'll need to copy the   ArcHydroTools.pth file from   C:\Python26\ArcGIS10.0\Lib\site-packages to the correct Python Lib\site-packages location on your system. 

Then launch ArcMap and again add both the "Arc Hydro Tools" toolbar and the "HEC-GeoHMS" toolbar to check for function. Not guaranteed but that should have resolved the issues with your Adjoint Catchment. Regards your problems with ArcCatalog, not sure I follow your issue. You don't add/customize the ArcCatalog toolbar. Rather, the Arc Hydro Tools and HEC GeoHMS and GeoRAS Tools should be accessed from the catalog tree view (ArcCatalog --> Windows --> Catalog Tree), but having the latest patches for the ArcHydro Tools and Desktop SP5 installed should help with stability. 

Note: there is no version yet of HECGeoHMS or HECGeoRAS for ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 

Stuart

Hey Stuart,

Am forced to run Arc 10.1 but would like to know, if you know, approximate timeline for HEC to get GeoHMS online for 10.1?
0 Kudos
ChristianRomeyn1
New Contributor
Stuart,
I'm running ArcGIS Desktop 10 Service Pack 5, ArcMap 10.0 Build 4400.

Is this what I should have:

HEC-GeoRAS 10.0.0.52

HEC-GeoHMS 10.0.0.95

ArcHydro Tools 2.1.0.103 ?? or is it 2.0.1.133-2.0??

ArcHydro Tools should install ApFramework 4.0.2.52

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5

??

Thanks,
Chris Romeyn
0 Kudos
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor
Chris,

As I answered off forum. Those are current builds as of this date, but you'll want to run with the current ArcHydro 2.1 tree (2.1.0.116) for  Desktop 10.0, and not the finalized 2.0 build (2.0.1.133)

Sorry to take so long to get you an answer. Needed to test this install sequence. ArcGIS 10.0 requires .NET 3.5 SP1 support be activated. Install with only .NET 4 client will not suffice for ArcGIS.

For the Warder Resources tools:

1) Fully patch your ArcGIS Desktop 10.0 with SP5, better for running ArcHydro, GeoRAS and GeoHMS if you have ArcEditor (to fully manipulate GeoDatabase)--and you will need Spatial Analyst and 3D Analyst extensions.

2) Remove all ArcHydro and HEC components, Windows Add/Remove will suffice, or use an uninstaller (CCleaner or Revo Uninstaller)

3) Download from Esri FTP server and install HECGeoHMS10
Note: build 10.0.0.95 is latest will install ArcHydro v 2.1.0.103 for ArcGIS 10.0;  HEC has it configuration managed so they bundle it with ArcHydro 2.1.0.103--which should be upgraded for bug fixes.

4)  Uninstall ArcHydro 2.1.103

5) Download from Esri FTP server and install ArcHydro build 2.1.0.116

6) Download from Esri FTP server and install HECGeoRAS10
Note: build is 10.0.0.52 is latest, will go on without complaint as it is not bound to ArcHydro version.

Make sure your IT folks  run the installations "Run as Admnistrator" and that they then sit with you to check permissions of the install locations, you should not need to own any of it, but you may need to be granted "modify" permissions for the program configuration folders.

Stuart
0 Kudos
ChristianRomeyn1
New Contributor
Stuart,
Still having problems with GeoHMS. Have not been able to make it work. The issue seems to be when I "generate project" I get the attached popup. Any Ideas? I've never been able to get GeoHMS to run on this computer...very frustrated.

Thanks,

Chris
0 Kudos
JustinBeeler
New Contributor
I'm also having some trouble with GeoRAS 10 using ArcMap10.  I was able to prepare my model data, export to HEC-RAS, run it, export out the GIS results, and then start the process to map the floodplain boundary.  All steps ran correctly to import the RAS data, then create the Water Surface Generation.  However, when I ran the next step in the manual, "Floodplain Delineation Using Rasters", the process halts and a window shows the message, "Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM Component".  When I click OK, it says, "Failed to complete floodplain mapping!".  The process shown at the bottom of the screen says, "Converting water surface TIN to GRID for Profile 50 Year...".  So I am not able to map my floodplain results.  Has anyone else seen this error and is there a known solution?  I am using the current version of GeoRAS 10 (1/8/13), ArcMap 10.0, SP3.
0 Kudos
DavidMouton
New Contributor
I'm also having some trouble with GeoRAS 10 using ArcMap10.  I was able to prepare my model data, export to HEC-RAS, run it, export out the GIS results, and then start the process to map the floodplain boundary.  All steps ran correctly to import the RAS data, then create the Water Surface Generation.  However, when I ran the next step in the manual, "Floodplain Delineation Using Rasters", the process halts and a window shows the message, "Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM Component".  When I click OK, it says, "Failed to complete floodplain mapping!".  The process shown at the bottom of the screen says, "Converting water surface TIN to GRID for Profile 50 Year...".  So I am not able to map my floodplain results.  Has anyone else seen this error and is there a known solution?  I am using the current version of GeoRAS 10 (1/8/13), ArcMap 10.0, SP3.

I'm having this same issue, but no solution as of yet.  If you've found help please post. 
Thanks
0 Kudos