Select to view content in your preferred language

Drainage Line Processing with ArcHydro

01-13-2016 06:06 AM
Labels (1)
UliSchmidt1
Deactivated User

I have to do a flood study for my bachelor thesis with ArcHydro.

And I have a problem using "Drainage Line Processing" after "Stream Segmentation". It doesn't work an the error " Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt." appears.

Does somebody know what that means and what I can do about it?

Could it be that I have to much Stream Segments, because there are a lot?

Hope someone knows what to do.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
MarkBoucher
Honored Contributor

Uli,

I sounds like the suggested solutions aren't working.

The "Attempted to read or write protected memory" error could mean that you are trying to re-run a process and ArcHydro can't overwrite a certain data file. Have you deleted everything that is created by the ArcHydro process and started fresh?  I do this often when I can't determine why the ArcHydro "hits a wall".

• Get out of Arc Hydro
  • Go to the project folders and delete anything the ArcHydro created (geodatabase, raster folder, etc.) - don't delete your agreestream, rawdem, inner/outerwalls, batch points (I export batch points to a shape so I don't have to recreate them: have done that a few times  😕  )
  • Delete the temp files.

Does this get you past the problem?

Mark

0 Kudos
UliSchmidt1
Deactivated User

Mark,

what do you mean with "get out of ArcHydro? Close ArcGis? Or must I do something else?

Is deleting anything ArcHydro created the same like starting a whole new project? I already created a new folder and new .mxd and only took the raw data - raw dem and agreestream ( I don't have inner/outerwalls or batch points).  But the same error appears. And I already tried the same on another PC, but nothing changed.

0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
Honored Contributor

Sorry. Yes, "get out of Arc Hydro" =  "Close ArcGis".

You don't have to create the folders and geodatabases. Arc Hydro will create them. It will also set up other things automatically and this avoids errors. After a while I succumbed to the Arc Hydro default names to save time.

0 Kudos
UliSchmidt1
Deactivated User

I just found out that the name of the Output Drainage Line File must not begin with a number. I named it "_7Drainage" instead of "7_Drainage" and it worked. 

But I don't understand why. I started the name of the previous Output files with an number and there wasn't any problem. Can anybody explain that?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

if it was an esri grid.. grid names cannot (shouldn't) begin with numbers and they must be less than 10 (or 13) characters in length and saved to paths without spaces

0 Kudos
UliSchmidt1
Deactivated User

mhm... the input file was a grid, but the Output from "Drainage Line Processing" should be a vector-file.

The lenght of the name and the paths were correct.

And the names of the previous grids I created with ArcHydro-functions began all with a number. And there wasn't any error like this.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

mysterious... perhaps naming caught up with you

0 Kudos