Select to view content in your preferred language

Dam rupture simulation

07-03-2010 04:17 AM
Labels (1)
Robert_-_RolandRaiz
New Contributor
Hello dear community,
I want to prepare a PhD research plan and I was thinking at two options but I do not know if it's possible to accomplish what I want and I need some help on this.

1. Is it possible to simulate (with GIS software) the area that will be flooded if a water dam crashes because of some reason..?!

2. Considering that someone wants to build a dam, to retain water in some specific point, is it possible to calculate in how many days/months it will fill up with water?!

I am curious if I can do a PhD study that will use GIS techniques to respond to these questions. My priority would be the 1st point, with the dam rupture, I would like to present the area that will be flooded if a dam near my city would crash.

I appreciate any reply and/or example of studies similar to the ones I planned to do. It would mean a lot.

Cheers,

Robert R.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
jamiefinney
New Contributor III
we've recently finished a project looking at this exact problem, recommend you look at InfoWorks RS 2D or TuFlow for this i'm sure there are other programes that would do this as well. As for ArcHydro i'm not sure if it can do this.
0 Kudos
Robert_-_RolandRaiz
New Contributor
we've recently finished a project looking at this exact problem, recommend you look at InfoWorks RS 2D or TuFlow for this i'm sure there are other programes that would do this as well. As for ArcHydro i'm not sure if it can do this.

I am much obliged for your answer. Honestly, everyone is reserved in saying something because it seems a harsh subject. I have to admit that I find myself in an unpleasant position seeing that maybe I cannot accomplish my idea of a thesis.

I will surely look into your recommendations and hopefully I will get some answers there.

Thank you once again and feel free to leave other advices if you remember/come up with something.
0 Kudos
Robert_-_RolandRaiz
New Contributor
I realize now that maybe I went too fast & too far with the subject. I guess the best question to ask would be: what data (and why) do I need in order to proceed in such a study?

If anyone can give me an answer on this I think I would have a good starting point...

Please do excuse me for the several questions I come up with. I find myself in an unpleasant position and I try to reach out for help 🙂
0 Kudos