Select to view content in your preferred language

Create sink structures error

02-20-2019 10:16 AM
Labels (1)
AlexanderVentura
New Contributor II

Hi all,

I am running the "Create sink structures" tool on a Standard ArcGIS license. The tool runs fine but does not generate sink points. The issue seems to be the tool "Feature to point" which is part of the process but requires an Advanced license (ArcInfo). 

I am attaching a screenshot of the process results including the errors.

Is it possible that the entire "Create sink structures" tool cannot not be run on a Standard license? This basically prevents to complete the combined dendritic/deranged terrain processing (as far as my knowledge goes).

Does anyone know if there's any way of working around the issue? I have tried by adding both a "draft sink point" and/or "stream" but I'm still getting very similar results (the issue is either the "Feature to point" tool or the "Feature Vertices to Point" tool).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Alex.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AlexanderVentura
New Contributor II

Hi again,

I just figured I can work around the issue of "Create Sink Structures" not generating sink points (and the rasterized version of those "Sink Point Grid") by simply using the sink points I have created manually (at the end of streams once they've "entered" a lake) and generating a rasterized version of these points using the "Point to raster" tool. Then I can use both the sink point and sink point raster I manually created for the following steps of the analysis (for example "Adjust flow direction in sinks" which requires a sink point raster).

Does anyone know if this can be considered a valid approach?

Also I was wondering: if I have several streams (in my stream feature class I use to "Create Drainage Line Structures") ending up in a single large lake, is it a valid approach to create a sink point at the end of each stream or should the sink point for ALL streams ending up in the SAME lake be only one (in the center of the lake for example)?

Hope my question makes sense and thanks so much in advance for all your help.

Have a nice day,

Alex.

0 Kudos