ArcMap crassing when importing HecRas data

11-07-2012 04:50 PM
Labels (1)
SPYRIDONKOUSOURIS
New Contributor
Hi , I have an issue where ArcMap crasses while importing HecRas export data.
ArcMap  stopps working while importing the Ras data and especially when it is converting the TIN to Raster. Any ideas will be much aappreciated.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MattMead
New Contributor III
A couple things:
1) Which version of GIS are you using? 9.3.1, 10 etc.  System specs(CPU, RAM, Windows version) would also be helpful
2) Do you have 3dAnalyst extension turned on? It might hang up or crash if an extension license isnt available.
3) Try importing it without setting up any of the terrain data. Just leave that whole part blank. If you are just looking to create floodplain boundaries the tool you will want is Tin Difference in the 3dAnalyst->Tin Surface->Tin Difference.
4) Try importing into a brand new mxd.  If that works you can always pull the completed files into your original mxd.
0 Kudos
SPYRIDONKOUSOURIS
New Contributor
Hi again and thanks for the prompt reply.

1)I'm using Arc Map 10, and my system specs: Intel Core 2 Duo P7350@2.00Ghz, RAM:4.00GB and Windows Vista 2007.
2)3D Analyst is working
3) I tried to import either in a new mxd. and with no terrain layers however it keeps on crashing

Any more ideas?
0 Kudos
MattMead
New Contributor III
try unchecking everything but your cross sections and centerline in the RAS GIS export.... Minimize what its trying to bring in and see at what point it starts to mess up.

Other than that....Create a really basic geometry file in ras.  2 cross sections and just the a hand drawn centerline in the geometry editor.  Try exporting that and see if that comes in ok.  If it does then it narrows the issue down to your specific project file.  If it doesnt then something is probably wrong with georas.

If its your project file, try saving a new copy of the model and re-exporting the data.
If its georas, uninstall it and reinstall to see if that fixes it.
0 Kudos
SPYRIDONKOUSOURIS
New Contributor
Hello, again!!

it seems that the problem  was that the tin i was using had not the correct projection system.
everything is working fine now.
Thank you for the help anyway.
0 Kudos
Meshachalfa
New Contributor

Hello everyone, I'm having a similar problem. I'm trying to export RAS data form GeoRAS for use in HEC RAS but arcMap keeps crashing. I'm using ArcMap 10.8.2 on Windows 11. Please I need help

0 Kudos